Cynical 'Faux Tech' Marketing = Dive Industry Shame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I see it as unmitigated flatulence. Scott, I can't tell you how many people have told me that their iteration of a Scuba Forum would be the death of ScubaBoard. Bwahahahaha! Somehow the imitations never seem to live up to the real thing.

Agreed in principle - and it's the right attitude on some level - but Scott should note that if this is an actionable violation of Zeagle's brand identity and trademark... failure to exert Zeagle's absolute right to protect their intellectual property will result in absolute loss of any legal protection of trademarks, copyright and valuable brand equity. Once that is eroded anyone can come out with a regulator, BCD or any scuba product and call it "Zeagle" with no possibility of Scott stopping them.

The fact that this vendor used to have a relationship with Zeagle and actually draws comparisons to Zeagle products is probably sufficient to establish a prima facie case of infringement.

I'm not one who yells "get a lawyer" anytime some looks at me cross-eyed, but this is a case where getting legal advice/intervention is a must.

Ray

I am laughing so hard right now.

After only one weekend of diving the Eagle Z1 Tech with stainless back plate installed, you convinced me. I have now installed a hyperlink from my website to yours and my students will soon follow...Rudy

NOTE: We also have several famous TV personalities and Movie actors now diving the Eagle Z1 buoyancy products. Because these celebrities names, likeness, and voices are legally considered licensed property, we are not allowed to utilize or share their feedback without paying a license fee.

img164.gif

Is it just me or has someone written that text on in mspaint?

The world's fastest Titanium knife! Instant squeeze to release sheath. Attaches directly to BCD or harness. Now available in Yellow. Click here for details.
Our divers knives are now in use in over 15 countries and very popular with our military personal.

snorkel.png

I laughed so hard when i saw that :D

We'll just have to agree to agree here. :D I have had one issue with another forum: www.scubabaord.com The misspelling was used to drive users to his site. I sent a C&D letter and he gave up the domain name. It now points here.

Agreed in principle - and it's the right attitude on some level - but Scott should note that if this is an actionable violation of Zeagle's brand identity and trademark... failure to exert Zeagle's absolute right to protect their intellectual property will result in absolute loss of any legal protection of trademarks, copyright and valuable brand equity. Once that is eroded anyone can come out with a regulator, BCD or any scuba product and call it "Zeagle" with no possibility of Scott stopping them.

The fact that this vendor used to have a relationship with Zeagle and actually draws comparisons to Zeagle products is probably sufficient to establish a prima facie case of infringement.

I'm not one who yells "get a lawyer" anytime some looks at me cross-eyed, but this is a case where getting legal advice/intervention is a must.

Ray

Site is immensely entertaining...

"#1. STEALTH: Unlike the standard Eagle Z1 Travel BCD, the FBI version is totally blacked out for additional personal safety. Now days having a famous USA brand name plastered all over the air cell, a flashy logo on the pockets, an American flag, or Made in USA label can get you taken hostage or killed in many parts of the world. The FBI version has nothing to draw attention or to put you at risk. Showing up in an airport with only a computer size briefcase case makes you invisible, and your gear secure. This FBI briefcase version is only 17.5" x 11" x 8.5" and is under 8 pounds, and the little black transport bag is included."

"#8. REPAIRABLE: Unlike bladder-less single air cells that cannot be repaired at all, the Eagle Z1 uses a heavy polyurethane separate internal bladder made from the same tough material as skate board tires. This makes rapid field repairs possible, even from gun shots with only a tube of Aqua-Seal."

This appears to be the origin of their beef with Zeagle: Scuba and Snokeling Equipment Bags - Universaldistributors.us

The manual is funny too - it states that most of their BCs aren't directly designed for use with double tanks, and that they want you to buy a Dive Rite SS plate, and shove that inside the BC so you can use Doubles with it. Because that makes a lot of sense.

And for all they rail against plastic tank clamp buckles - the manual states that the women's version of their BCs comes with the plastic tank buckles. Because women are far less abusive to their gear than men. Rofl.

Ooooh... and don't forget to check out the user manual for TOPLESS pictures of Mr. Beefcake from the MSPaint'd Boat Picture. There's half a dozen of them. It's great.

They have a list of their products at the end too... including an "Impossible to lose" Titanium dive knife. And more MSPaint'd gear.

The manual is funny too - it states that most of their BCs aren't directly designed for use with double tanks, and that they want you to buy a Dive Rite SS plate, and shove that inside the BC so you can use Doubles with it. Because that makes a lot of sense.

From what I can tell.... users are meant to just 'slip' the SS backplate into a pouch/pocket. It doesn't actually bolt through onto the tanks...and the harness isn't threaded through the backplate.

What f&%king use is that?!?!? :rofl3:

And for all they rail against plastic tank clamp buckles - the manual states that the women's version of their BCs comes with the plastic tank buckles. Because women are far less abusive to their gear than men. Rofl.

But I thought the issue was that salt water and UV sunlight made the plastic brittle??

Awwww.....my poor head is confused now :w-t-f:

And more MSPaint'd gear.

This is laughable... and is very illustrative of the absence of any professionalism the company has.

Not sure if there is even a legal issue with false advertising like this?

Wonder if this guy is 'The Onion' of the dive industry, that would be cool.

I am laughing so hard right now.

img164.gif

Is it just me or has someone written that text on in mspaint?

That would be MS Paint on a Deep See Big Squeeze Knife. Someone let Aqualung know. You think he's swiped things from all of the major companies?

No... the onion is original, funny and they KNOW they are making things up. That's the opposite of what has happened here.

This guy is pretty funny though and original in that I have not seen another dive business advertise other companies' products with their own logo paintshopped onto it. Gold!

I am always an optimist and when I see people saying stupid things I like to think they are just taking the p*ss and aren't really that crazy :)

But I would say chances are that this is not the case with this guy :wink:

Back
Top Bottom