Daily Packing List and Other Notes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlkcarlk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We returned from 9 fun days in Bonaire on Monday. It was our first trip there and this forum was very useful. I'd thought I'd just share some random notes.

Our Daily Packing List
  • 3 1/2-liters of frozen water, +1 bottle of liquid water
  • Snacks for between & after dives
  • Driver's License+Money+Keys
  • Mini-save-a-dive kit (including at least O-rings)
  • Paper maps (free and available on the island)
  • Cheap hat
  • Camera & lights -- make sure settings are as desired
  • Mask
  • Socks+booties+fins
  • regulators
  • wetsuits
  • BCD
  • sandals
  • cheap nylon bag
  • cheap 3.5 ft x 5 ft drop cloth
  • sun screen
  • Lock hotel safe (with passports, money, phones, computers)
  • apply sunscreen
  • use restroom
  • close and lock up
My wife kept the truck key on a cord around her neck. (There was a little rust). I kept the driver's licenses, money, and hotel keys in LokSak in a zippered BCD pocket. (The LocSaks worked great. I tried regular ziplocs, too, but they leaked every time.) https://www.amazon.com/loksak-bags/s?k=loksak+bags. I also kept my glasses (an old pair) in a BCD pocket in an old crush-proof eyeglasses case. I didn't try to keep my glasses dry.

We went with Hamlet Oasis, Bonaire Rent-A-Car, and Dive Friends -- would use them all again.

Restaurants keep odd hours and days. Also, they can be slow. Next time, we'll get food from the Van den Tweel Supermarket right away. We'll also eat more at the food stands (and the Turkish place near Bari Reef). [But even the food stands keep odd hours]. We'd save regular restaurants for the end of day, when we have time.

We tried one two-tank boat dive, but it didn't seem worth it, so everything else was shore diving.

We did a great night dive at the Cliff near Hamlet Oasis. Around sunset you have to use the 2nd entrance to the Hamlet Oasis to get in. We saw a squid and an octopus. There is a pipe running from shore to a little beyond the reef that makes finding your way back easier. The only downside: Tarpons may try to hunt with your light (don't let them.)

We only snorkeled on the last day. Next time, we'll do it a bit more, just because there is stuff in the very shallow water that is interesting.

Three favorite dives
  • The Cliff, esp. night dive
  • Bari Reef -- in the sand we watched a flounder follow a crab for many minutes.
  • The Lake -- I loved flying over the lake of sand and the Dr. Suess-like coral on the far side.
- Carl

Why do you say don't let the tarpon hunt with your light, I have always found it interesting?

Why do you say don't let the tarpon hunt with your light, I have always found it interesting?

And if you don't let the Tarpon hunt in your light they'll start bumping you. Seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom