Damaged corals at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive guru just came back from Hin Muang/Daeng and said that there was some obvious damage done to Hin Daeng -i.e. coral reduced to rubble - but he said the area was quite small, if that's any consolation.

The rest of the dives around the sites were fantastic, he said. It's a real shame and the Thai government is stuffing around, finding excuses. For all the money they rake in from the newly increased marine park fees, you'd think they'd be able to allocate some if it for extra rangers or coast guards... I'm trying to find out if anyone is doing anything about this. Stay tuned.

ONE more day till I'm diving Shark Point, Anemone Reef and King Cruiser!! Wooohooo... :dance:

Oh yeah... anemone reef's beautiful
always love them with the cute little clowns around

Good luck to see a neat leopard shark cos local DM
dun think we have much luck for it then.
yes...not forgetting the sea horses.

Wish i could be there now :dazzle:

my instructor also said he didn't see any sharks at Shark Point... :( Oh well... it would be nice, but I will take what I can get. I'm sure it's going to be fantastic.

I'll look out for seahorses though - is it common to spot them there??

(Two more hours to go till I'm out of the office....)

Bet u must be out of office and all ready to get wet.
Anyway, they love the sea fan... not ez to spot.
One big and a tiny one, very well camouflaged.

Remember to post your trip reports.

Good luck.

Hey Alison,

Thanks for the update on Hin Daeng/Hin Muang - and yeah, it's really sad how the Thai govt is not doing enuff about this. Really hope that by the time someone gets down to saving the reefs, it will not be too late!!

hey have a great time, and trip report pls pls pls!! :bounce:

tribalshark - u saw seahorses at Phuket??!!! have u spotted them in local waters before? supposed to have them here, tho very tough to see them in our murky waters :wink:

Yep ...saw 3 in phuket.
correction though... one at Anemone reef
the other two's at Koh Doc Mai :wink: now tat i check my logs

i hv only dove Hantu b4 ...water's realli mucky and also current
that i did not expect. Ya...know we hv some pretty things back home but spotted mostly some fishes and soft corals.

Originally posted by Asiandivergal

I think there should be a similar rule which Sipadan adopts - a limit on the max no of people who can be on the island at one time (not exceeding 80 - someone correct me if i m wrong?), so that the environment, both above and underwater is not over taxed.

Yup....

80 pax per day is the maximum for Sipadan at the moment.

Cheers

i didnt manage to see any seahorses in Phuket nor any whale sharks or manta rays at similans *sigh* guess my luck in Thailand isnt all too good :D

a friend just came back from Manado and he didnt see any pygmy seahorse either hehe but i thought that's like a "guaranteed" sighting!! at least that's what they say :wink:

Hey Agnes... Happy Chinese New Year!

Was waiting for your trip report.
Dun bother abt the stuffs tat u missed...surely
you have other good sightings.

'A bad day diving is better than a good day at work' :)

My sentiments as well that the pygmy are sure sighting.

Till later .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom