Damaged drysuit zipper - single tooth misaligned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I have an issue with my drysuit zipper and thought this might be a good place to ask for some advice.

One tooth is misaligned as shown in the photos below. It seems that the folded tape connecting it to the next one is broken. I wonder if it is possible to repair it and what would be the recommended way of doing it. When straightened out, the teeth align nicely. I was thinking of somehow gluing them together.

I bought the drysuit used recently, got it tested for leaks and everything was fine. I have even dived in it last weekend and as long as it was done carefully, the zipper closed properly and there were no leaks.

Cheers

PXL_20220825_095709936.MP.jpg
PXL_20220825_095720975.jpg

I have even dived in it last weekend and as long as it was done carefully, the zipper closed properly and there were no leaks.

Cheers
I would keep diving it carefully and consider gluing the backing rubber with a syringe while the zipper is closed......(or opened, just before closing).

Get the smallest syringe you can get.
I get them for free from the drugstore.
Sometimes they want to see my veins.
It makes me feel dirty...

I would keep diving it carefully and consider gluing the backing rubber with a syringe while the zipper is closed......(or opened, just before closing).

Get the smallest syringe you can get.
I get them for free from the drugstore.
Sometimes they want to see my veins.
It makes me feel dirty...
Why feel dirty, regular IV use of Aquaseal really messes up your veins and they have a right to be concerned.

Michael

Thanks guys! I realize that replacing the zipper would be ideal but I would like to get a couple more dives out of this one. I'll try gluing it for now and see if that works, not much to lose anyway. I bought this drysuit to learn how to dive and I'm not going very deep in it. I'll change the zipper or get a proper drysuit later on once I get some more experience.

By the way, what sort of glue would you recommend? Is a generic (flexible) rubber glue okay?

By the way, what sort of glue would you recommend? Is a generic (flexible) rubber glue okay?

If its not leaking, don't fix it.

When you want to fix it;
No rubber glue....Get a small tube of Aquaseal with Cotol (accelerator)
AquaSeal and Cotol Combo

Apply with free smallest syringe from the drugstore.

If it doesn’t leak, dive it when it does leak replace it, attempting to repair will more than likely accelerate the replacement schedule.

Back
Top Bottom