DAN DIDS (Diver Identification System)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mar Scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How many boat ops are using the DAN Diver ID System?

Also, what alternative methods are the DMs using for roll call (verbal, log in/log out, etc.)?

I posted this on scubashops.net but no reply yet after almost more than 1 month...

Safe diving,

I had a look at the system when they first came out, and to me it seemed to me to be a copy of the system they use ined coal mines at the turn of the century.

Having worked as back deck supervisor on livaboards, I know the problems of doing a manifest check/rollcall. I resorted to having a roster for every dive,
Name of buddy pair, time in/time out
PG in PG out

and finally having the divers sign the roster when they exit the water. The boat doesnt move untill all signatures appear.

I think the DAN idea can be more easily accomplished with a pen and paper, and I could imagine losing the tags, which would create an incomplete set, whhich would just make things confusing.

Just my 2c but I am a believer of keeping it simple.

I typically carry no more than 8 divers. If someone is missing, I typically saw where they went...

Back
Top Bottom