DAN Dive Accident Coverage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was travelling with someone who needed to use DAN and I think you have to be almost nuts not to have the coverage. Looking back, I don't know how I could have even made the arrangements for the air evac- I would not have even known where to go and the third world doctors he was getting treatment from all thought he had nausea and did not beleive in the bends at all so they would have been of no help. They covered what my health insurance did not and at $500 an hour at the time, the charges add up fast- not to mention the cost of the hospital room , various tests to eliminate other things, hotel, restaurants, taxi fares, etc. Because there was a tropical storm between us and the US- it was a almost 24 hours before they could get us out- I think I would have gone crazy if it were not for the people at DAN to talk to and know that help was coming ASAP. By the way, the diver was healthy and was diving within the limits of the computer- so don't think it can't happen to you because you are a safe diver. Back to your original question- I bought it for the medivac and knowing I would have access to doctors familiar with dive medicine. I was surprised health insurance covered as much as it did but that was 10 years ago and who knows what changes have come about- not something I want to worry about.

DAN will do a lot for you even if you just get the membership, including the medical evacuation - but so much more if you're also insured with them, as stated already here. And don't get the cheapest plan! I wish they'd drop that one, but some members insist on it - and it's a membership organization. The middle plan is much better for only $10/year more. If you really think your medical coverage will cover you, get that one - and enjoy knowing you are well covered even if you never use it. If you do, hey - tell us about it. :cool:

I have seen 6 divers leave by ambulance, 2 flown back to the states from easy dives. It happens.

DAN is a must, and it is cheap. DAN is VERY EXPERIENCED in handling dive accidents. Your health provider, is probably not. DAN will evacuate you, and do what is necessary. Your health provider may not. DAN answers the phone around the clock & on weekends. Your health provider may not. DAN will make necessary arrangements for treatment & travel for you. Your health provider may not. DAN has a great reputation. Your health provider may not. DAN can help you, both locally and Internationally. Your health provider may not.

So now with ALL of that said, I take it one step further. Not advising you or anyone to do the same, this is just me being me. I have great personal health insurance, I have the highest level from DAN, AND I also have American Express Travel Medical Protection. This is $100k of coverage that starts 150 miles away from my home. What my personal health insurance and DAN won't cover, THEY WILL, no questions asked. They too will "front" medical payment, out of the country, and take care of evacuation. It's $9 a month. Again, cheap insurance. So, between the 3 different insurers, I'm covered, and can relax on vacation.

I have been discussing this with divers coming on my Raja Ampat trips this fall. And also with an agent who sent two divers for the trip and thinks the normal travel insurance he sold those divers will cover a dive accident because it only excludes diving below 40 meters. Many ships and resorts require divers to have specific dive medical evacuation insurance and I agree. It is necessary in many exotic locations.

Because of this agent, in the last week I've checked the travel insurance policy for the divers the agent sends on the trip. It was confusing so I wrote the travel insurer and sent the policy number & details of this trip for clarification. They do not exclude diving, but they DO NOT provide access to a physician qualified to advise for a diving accident; they DO NOT organize a special evacuation for a diving accident victim (however will cover the costs). That insurance will only cover the cost of a doctor in a local medical facility and without providing access to any expert to advise that local doctor about a diving accident. That travel insurance will reimburse some of the costs however what is important here is that up front assistance and organization & management that DAN / Dive Assure and perhaps others will provide without question and without the diver paying for the costs up front.

I've also checked the health insurance for those divers. It will cover part of the expenses when they are home, but only local (in the area the incident occurred) medical care.

Over the past 28 years I've seen 6 accidents (DCS symptoms or a major in-water injury) while on a dive trip in an exotic location. I've seen both DAN and Dive Assure handle some of these accidents. And I've seen one that was not covered (insurance had expired). Both DAN and Dive Assure took over the accident management with only one phone call. In 2 cases I saw, a knowledgeable physician was on the line to advise for immediate care and then worked with local physicians until a special aircraft arrived to evacuate the diver. In another case, DAN worked with the local physician to treat the diver and determined that evacuation was not necessary, but still made sure the diver was OK and followed along for several days.

This dive specific insurance can mean life or death. It can mean the difference between a nice fat bank account or bankruptcy or being deep in debt for medical & evacuation costs. It can mean wonderful dive trips in the future or being unable to dive physically or financially.

The cost of Dan or Dive Assure is so low and the expenses of an accident or illness that requires evacuation so high that this is a no-brainer to me. There are very few accidents, but why take the chance when the top level dive insurance would cost under $150?

The travel insurance is good. It covers items the DAN does not.

I've forwarded all my research emails from the insurance company and also one from DAN to explain to this agent.

Now... why would the agent still argue with me about telling his customers that the travel insurance he sold them is not enough? I don't normally let agents book anyone on my trips, but had cancellations this year so accepted an agent booking. This is the first time I've run into an agent with this opinion.

BTW... North America DAN Preferred includes trip cancellation insurance that kicks in if you pay for a trip and then cannot dive due to a medical problem at the time of the trip. I've seen 4 people use it in the last 3 years. Less than $150 covers that for people who don't buy other travel insurance. DAN Europe / DAN Asia member would need to check if that is included in those areas.

No Brainer.

Anyone have a different opinion about dive specific insurance for exotic dive trips? If there is another way to insure divers for accidents in these places, I would like to know about it.

Last edited:
Anyone have a different opinion about dive specific insurance for exotic dive trips? If there is another way to insure divers for accidents in these places, I would like to know about it.
Well, Dive Assure is also good dive insurance. I prefer DAN, but the other is an option.

BTW, if you ever have a diver hurt who needs help arranging correct treatment, medical evacuation, etc. - DAN will help non-members in need to, with arrangements. You have to be a member for the Travelers-Assist and insured for more payments, but they will still take the call and help arrange.

Well, Dive Assure is also good dive insurance. I prefer DAN, but the other is an option.

BTW, if you ever have a diver hurt who needs help arranging correct treatment, medical evacuation, etc. - DAN will help non-members in need to, with arrangements. You have to be a member for the Travelers-Assist and insured for more payments, but they will still take the call and help arrange.

I agree Dive Assure or DAN are both good. I'm uncertain as to the exact differences, but I've seen both handle a dive accident equally well for divers who had their (DAN or Dive Assure) insurance.

Anyone know if Dive Assure has similar trip cancellation as DAN in their dive medical insurance? I have not investigated. They may actually use the same insurance company. I'm remembering that a travel agent client of mine told me that last weekend.

And if not a member of either, who and how would one pay for up front costs in an area where credit cards are not accepted? For example a speedboat to send a diver quickly to the closest port could easily be $800+ in cash. I know because I have personally paid for or guaranteed that expense. It took months to be reimbursed from Dive Assure, but they did reimburse that payment.

I travel prepared for almost anything and am always bailing out fellow travelers. ATM card does not work, credit & ATM cards lost, accident and the diver has no cash, hotel or dive shop will not accept credit cards.. even someone standing at the airline counter and cannot pay a departure tax, etc. Sometimes complete strangers!!!

BTW.. this is not an invitation to travel with me and use me as insurance :D

---------- Post Merged at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:49 AM ----------

I have seen 6 divers leave by ambulance, 2 flown back to the states from easy dives. It happens.

Every accident I've seen but one happened to divers doing nothing "wrong" in their diving. In retrospect they had 1. heart problem, 2. arthritis, 3. recent surgery & drinking problem, 4. dehydration, 5. been bent twice before. and 6. the last was a young fit person with absolutely no possible reason to have a problem (major injury).

I've had the DAN insurance-the top plan, and I had to use it in 2004. I had.have a pretty good health insurance plan-and the DAN insurance is a secondary plan-it kicks in after your primary insurance has done its' thing.
here is a bit of background:

In 2004, I had an incident of DCS2 while in Grand Cayman. I had to pay, by credit card, both the hospital fees and the separate chamber fee. Neither accepted insurance. I'm not sure if that policy applies in all hospitals/chambers or just the one I happen to be at. We were in contact with the folks at DAN-insurance and otherwise-and both were great. They were very concerned and supportive, and had begun pre-planning for a low-level air evac., which, thankfully, was not needed.

When I arrived home I filed papers with my primary health insurance carrier.
They paid the majority of the medical bills, including $15,000 worth of "chamber rides".
(I have been told by other divers that DAN would pay for these costs even if my primary did not.)

After receiving that payment, I submitted uncovered bills, etc., to the DAN insurance people (The actual policy was from an insurance company who has an agreement with DAN). The paperwork seemed less noxious than typical insurance paperwork, and the service was very good.

( Finally the part that applies to the OP's question!!) The DANaffiliated policy reimbursed me for:

Some medical costs not covered by my primary insurance carrier.

The cost of two plane tickets home, when we could not reschedule on our original airline.

The cost of shipping the home all our luggage, including dive gear, as I had written orders from the doctor to not carry, drag, or lift anything for a two week period.

Most of the cost of three additional nights stay at the hotel, also the result of written orders from the doctor. The three days were required for more medical treatment, and to get medically cleared to fly.

The reimbursement for these items totaled approximately $2700.

As a result of this experience, I would never be without the DAN insurance.
I give that product my highest endorsement, while hoping you never have to use it.
Good Luck,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom