DAN national fatality stats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really interesting Statistics, the kind politicians like... completely open to interpretation. I liked the spike in 1976, the year Jaws came out. I remember being really nervous in the water when I would visualize the giant sharks just beyond the limit of visibility... My guess is that the sport is safer now with better technology and new divers getting a lot more supervision early on than was given when I started diving (I know there is some debate about whether new divers today have had the depth of technical instruction that divers had back then).

I liked the spike in 1976, the year Jaws came out.

Interesting "correlation." After seeing Jaws I stopped diving for about three years. Maybe only the "risk-takers" stayed in the water after that and skewed the stats for that period. When Jean-Michel Cousteau saw me putting on a wetsuit a few years later, knowing that I had stopped diving after seeing "Jaws," he asked why I was back diving again. My response: "I just saw 'Jaws II'"

As for how DAN gathers its data - I cant answer specifically for the the other regions but as one of DAN Asia-Pacific's researchers I can tell you that in this region the data is collected through a number of means:
1) Mostly through regular trawling of internet news, dive forums, RSS feeds looking for reports of incidents that "may" have occurred.
2) Information received from members reporting incidents they witnessed or heard about.
3) To a small extent coroners offices in some countries.

I think in this region we are pretty accurate with the figures from Australia as we get reasonable data. Other countries the information we have is only as good as the members/divers who help us by contacting DAN when they see or hear of an incident (particularly where the only news reporting of the death appears in a foreign language news report which doesn't translate to anything that a Google search will pick up.

Unless you just want to guess, you DO need demoninators. That's what gives us the rate/liklihood/chance etc. Otherwise, all you've got is a raw number.
Ken, "statistics" come in two different flavors, confirmatory statistics, which is what you are looking for and exploratory data analysis, which is my forte. If you are concerned about the probability of a given rate per unit something, then you are correct. If, on the other hand, all you want to do is make a comparison list of different activities, there are any number of techniques (one of which I sketched earlier) that may be applied. It is my view that accidents per number of dive statistics are complete and utter claptrap. For such statistics to be meanigful, at least in the way you are attempting to use them, the dependent variable (e.g., survived or did not survive dive) must be the result of a random event that does no vary with any of independent variables. Yet, it is clearly obvious that the probability of death is not just a function of the number of dives an individual makes per unit time but is also a function of the hours of traning received, the number of previous dives made, the number of previous dives made under similar conditions, the diver's age, etc. If you plug all this into an Analysis of Varience (ANOVA) I think that you would find that the number of dives is, rather than causal, inversely proportional and that other factors will, in point of fact, stuff the variance due to the total number of dives, down into the error term. What you are really looking for is a kinda common sense way to evaluate total risk, that is to say, is the average diver at more or less risk than the average driver, or the average recreational baseball player, or the average skiier, etc. That you can do, as I demonstated, without a denominator, but not without opening other questions ... like: "what is the population?"
Personally, I think that number may be high, when you talk about ACTIVE divers. But the number DEMA uses is 2-2.5 million active divers. I was at a presentation by Drew Richardson, PADI prez, and I think he was extrapolating the number of active divers to be closer to 3 million. Or you could trake the financial size of the dive industry (around $700 million annually - but that may not include travel booked but not through a shop or club), figure out what the "average" diver spends a year ($2000 ???) divide that into the total and you'd have an active population of 350,000. Using that as a demoninator instead of 1,000,000 basically triples the chances of dying.

So yes, the denominator matters.
Drew is just repeating the number that McAniff admitted to having pulled out of thin air back in the 1990s. Rather meaningless then, totally bogus today. As to the financial size, I hear numbers from 300 million all the way up to a billion, with the "usual" number being as you describe it. But I can never seem to pin down what that includes. What I want to know is how many tanks are filled, how many certifications are issued to unique individuals, how many regulators are sold, how many BCs, etc. I could likely construct a pretty good model with that kind of data, but we don't have it and are not likely to. That leaves us with exploratory data analysis (may I recommend Tukey's book of that title?).
And then you have to define what "ACTIVE" really is. We may be able to say what the number of basic certs issued over a given period has been. But we have NO idea how many of those people keep doiving and we have NO idea of how many dives they do annually. The thought is that most divers do an average of 10-12 dives/year because they do one vacation dive a year, 2 dives per day for 5-6 days. So that gives you a universe of 4.2 million dives producing an average of (using last 4 yrs avg of 80/yr) 80 fatalities a year or 1 fatality per 52,500 dives. Still pretty good odds.

Or you could take Richardson's number of 3 million active divers, assume they do an average of 20 dives/year, giving you a universe of 60 million dives peroducing 80 fatalities per year or 1 fatality per 750,000 dives. REALLY good odds . . . unless you're that one dive.

So again, yes the denominator matters, as do the assumptions you make to arrive at a given conclusion. And therein lies the rub: We have to rely on too many assumptions and if the underlying premise (assumption) is wrong, then the result won't represent an accurate picture of the situation.

- Ken
As I described, activity level doesn't really matter, unless you are trying to calculate the risk per dive. In fact, the obvious existance of a huge interactive term between risk and the number of recent dives, is something that nothing except a rather robust ANOVA will deal with.

Thalassamania, I defer to your clear expertise. denominator aside, I wonder if another factor of might be a better measure of risk for divers. There are a limited number of hyperbaric chambers in the world and as medical facilities, would keep accurate records of diver's requiring treatment. I realize that would exclude divers that never make it to the facilities or divers that suffer other types of injuries, but combined with the fatalities, it would give a clearer picture of risk.

Would it not be possible to require dive shops to report the number of tank fills each year? Don't they get inspected annually or so?

Possible? Sure. Practical? Different question.

Thalassamania, I defer to your clear expertise. denominator aside, I wonder if another factor of might be a better measure of risk for divers. There are a limited number of hyperbaric chambers in the world and as medical facilities, would keep accurate records of diver's requiring treatment. I realize that would exclude divers that never make it to the facilities or divers that suffer other types of injuries, but combined with the fatalities, it would give a clearer picture of risk.

That would probably be quite useful in differentiating injuries from deaths...and that's another significant element of this: in many areas, the fatality rates have declined because more people survive (auto accidents are a great example)...which can introduce another skew to the data.

In general, probably the only pragmatic way to get a handle on the denominator question would either be to publish a huge survey that goes out to all divers ever certified (and then you'll need to get very high return rates), or to work it from the service providers (e.g. #tanks filled).

However, there are also other things we can do to assess risk. For example, I can recall some news a few years ago which looked at the incidence rate of PFOs in bent divers which was then compared against the general population ... since in this form of analysis the Denominator can be mathematically eliminated (any number divided by itself equals one), we can assess the relative risk of diving with a PFO. I'll try to dig up the numbers ... my recollection is that they were sufficiently revealing that the industry may very well want to have a suitability screening test for dive candidates.

-hh

Regardless of what all the stats and numbers imply, I personally feel a whole lot safer at 130' down than being on the freeway in San Francisco at rush hour. But that could just be me!:coffee:

Found the references to an old stats discussion.

The original data was published in DAN Alert Diver, September/October 2004, pp 52-55.

I've not gone back today to look at the original source ... my basic recollection was that it was one of those "don't worry" articles that had some stats in it, which viewed in a different fashion was potentially quite worrying when the data was "normalized" by removal of the estimated denominator:

Given (Note: I think that these rates are probably from the article):

* 0.00005 = 1 dive in 20,000 causes DCS without knowing PFO status
* 0.000125 = 1 dive in 8,000 causes DCS when PFO is known to be present
* ~20% of general dive population has a detectable PFO condition

Taking a 1,000,000 random dives, 20% of which were done unknowingly with PFO divers and the balance without. The unattributed risk results in:

1,000,000 * (1/20,000) = 50 total DCS cases

Number of above dives that were PFO's: 1,000,000*(.2) = 200,000.

Estimate of DCS frequency rate of a PFO dives: 0.000125 (eg, 1/8,000)
Number of PFO DCS events herewithin: 200,000/8,000 = 25

With 50 total DCS cases, of which 25 were PFO cases, then 25 were the non-PFO cases (eg, 50 - 25 = 25). Setting aside the casual observation that 25/50 = 50% of total DCS cases and finishing the math:

Estimate of DCS risk for known non-PFO divers:

25 DCS in 800,0000 dives = .00003125 = 1/32,000 dives.

and...
800,000 dives * 1/32,000 = 25 DCS hits
200,000 dives * 1/ 8,000 = 25 DCS hits

------------------------------------------------
1,000,000 dives * 1/20,000 = 50 DCS hits (total) ... (note: this is just a simple "make sure that the math checks out" confirmation)

From the above, the Probability of DCS given No-PFO present ... and the P(DCS|PFO=true) values are:

P(DCS|PFO=false) = 1/32,000
P(DCS|PFO=true) = 1/8,000

But now let's get rid of the denominator through division: this illustrates the change in DCS risk simply due to PFO's:

(1/8,000)
------------ = 4x greater risk of DCS if a PFO is present
(1/32,000)

Naturally, we can then follow this into subsequent conversations on the appropriateness of training standards requiring actual physical exam by an MD for incoming candidate dive students as well as an examination of PFO incidence rates by age, to provide guidance for minimum certification age requirements.

-hh

Naturally, we can then follow this into subsequent conversations on the appropriateness of training standards requiring actual physical exam by an MD for incoming candidate dive students as well as an examination of PFO incidence rates by age, to provide guidance for minimum certification age requirements.
If you do that:

1) you'll at least double the cost of a certification
2) you'll leave the doctor who did the exam liable if the diver gets bent and is later found to have a PFO that went undetected, and
3) you'll eliminate 20% of student divers who are found to have a PFO and who if otherwise left alone and allowed to continue would only have a 1 in 8000 chance of DCS on every dive.

Bad idea on 3 separate levels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom