DAN Responds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears DAN Europe doesn't agree with you

View attachment 834552

Can't speak for DAN Europe, however consider my employer is not an insurance company but our Human Resources Department has tabs labelled insurance on their web site.

Insurance is a little like the shipping industry. Somebody owns the vessel, and leases it to somebody else, who hires a third company to run it, who then provide services to a fourth party to transport goods. Who is the shipping company, really?

Not sure outside the USA, but DAN in the USA can be evaluated using Charity Navigator. Here's a link:

Can't speak for DAN Europe, however consider my employer is not an insurance company but our Human Resources Department has tabs labelled insurance on their web site.

Insurance is a little like the shipping industry. Somebody owns the vessel, and leases it to somebody else, who hires a third company to run it, who then provide services to a fourth party to transport goods. Who is the shipping company, really?
The selling to the end user of insurance in Europe is highly regulated, all companies in the supply chain need to be registered (in the U.K. that’s with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)). When I worked for a car manufacturer we had to be registered even though customers took their vehicle insurance our directly with the insurance company.

Nah, insurance is just a member benefit. It is no secret though majority is joining due to insurance benefits.
In this video they explain it:
The reason DAN South Africa is different from DAN Europe is they hold an association insurance, just like BSAC do in the U.K. As you’re based in Germany, from your profile, you need to take the additional insurance to get what South Africans get with their membership. That insurance is provided by IDA in Malta

The reason DAN South Africa is different from DAN Europe is they hold an association insurance, just like BSAC do in the U.K. As you’re based in Germany, from your profile, you need to take the additional insurance to get what South Africans get with their membership. That insurance is provided by IDA in Malta
I do not see this being relevant, it is natural each region will have their own requirements so it is expected that each dan region will have their own policy for their members. As you said earlier, legal part of these is pretty complex. As far as I see, IDA is a subsidiary of DAN Europe, so, who knows why actual reason for this is?.. There are tons of potential reasons like cost savings, leveraging tax advantages, EU regulations and so on.
The point here is globally DAN is a membership based organization that is not an insurance company. I am pretty sure you have heard of ADAC, German automobile club, which is also similar organization, they offer all kind of services to their members that includes insurance as well, but I would not reduce them to an insurance provider and they also have subsidiaries like dan.
By joining to such large organization, we get the benefit of the numbers; I as individual, would have not be able to negotiate such good insurance policy with an insurance company but DAN can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom