dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, here's the update -
Just got back from West Palm Beach where we did 3 reef dives and 1 wreck (all between 60-90') in a current.

I took the scop patch again, which seemed to prevent the nauseas feeling last time.
And, we got certified on Nitrox a few days ago, so we dove ean32 and ean36.
Plus, I really focused on breathing, long and deep, inhale and exhale.
Also, we drank PLENTY of water - I mean, we ALWAYS had a bottle in our hands and were sipping on them.

The verdict - FELT GREAT!
Had none of the previous ailments - queasiness, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, nothing.
We felt perfect during and after our dives and both thought - wow,... this is what diving SHOULD feel like.

So now the hard part is figuring out whether it was the nitrox that made us feel better, or the breathing, or both. If it's the breathing, then we'll know we can dive on air if we just breath better. If it's the Nitrox, then we'll never touch air again - which may be a problem in some remote locations.

I did have a problem with one thing - I sucked through my nitrox faster than any dive I've ever done. I was out of 3200 psi in about 20 minutes and had to make an ascent on 300 psi, ending at the surface with 50 psi. Happened every dive.
So I'm wondering if I was breathing TOO long and deep.
My wife pointed out a small leak on my rented power inflator connection - and thought maybe THAT's why I ran out before anyone else. But the leak was awfully small - just a steady trickle of bubbles each no bigger than a pea.

A lot of variables than can affect air consumption. Breathing deeper is definitely one. Depth (deeper=more air consumed), current makes you work harder. Physical size is another. Our son has put on a fair bit of size in the last year and we're noticing his air consumption is up. Fitness level is another.
As you dive more and get more relaxed, you'll fall into a more normal breathing pattern (surface pattern?) and your SAC will improve.

For now it sounds like you're on the right track.

As a veteran of many bouts with motion sickness myself it certainly sounds like "sea sickness" especially since the symptoms subside when you are under the water (since this is where the motion is buffered dramatically) try dramamine or some other of the available OTC remedies for motion sickness. Seeing your doctor is not a bad idea either, if for nothing else than your peace of mind. Be aware that anyone at any given time can get sea sick some people are more resistant than others is all.

Back
Top Bottom