Dark Blue or Purple Water with the Hero 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The eel vision filter is made to be used inside the housing. But is there a way to use it outside? Because it'd be nice to be able to take it off during the dive, wouldn't it? Could one "apply it" to a inexpensive close up filter, for instance, a 55mm one? Just wondering.

Think about what changed. It wasn't the filter, it was the camera sensor. The filter is fine with the 3, not so much with the 4. If I had to guess I'd say it's that the 4 is inherently darker since it can shoot in 4K now. So more sensitive to the filter possibly. In auto mode there's white balancing and ISO limiting being decided by the camera as it shoots thru the filter. I suspect tweaking one of them in Protune as Hatul posted will fix it.

For the record, I'm not expert so won't be offended if one corrects me.

Thanks. I use a 3+ and didn't know what changed to 4. That makes sense though.

The eel vision filter is made to be used inside the housing. But is there a way to use it outside? Because it'd be nice to be able to take it off during the dive, wouldn't it? Could one "apply it" to a inexpensive close up filter, for instance, a 55mm one? Just wondering.

I don't think it would work, it's not a sticker. I've used it on 30+ dives and never felt the need to remove it during the dive.

Back
Top Bottom