Dauin + Balicasag/Alona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitphys

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone
We are planning on spending 9 days diving in the Visayas. We are definitely going to dive Dauin (staying with Atmosphere resorts which everyone here seems to really like) however trying to decide if we should spend 2-3 days of the trip elsewhere:

1. Seems like getting to Balicasag from Dauin is not easy, so we are thinking about doing to Alona Beach or Cabilao for 3 days (and spending only 5-6 in Dauin) so that we go to Balicasag at least 1 or 2 days. Is this a good ides, or too much travel involved in getting to Dauin from Alona Beach?

2. How good is Apo Island? Almost 5 years ago we did one day of diving there but we had bad viz that day so doesn't seem fair to judge off that. Just trying to figure if the diving there is good enough that maybe we don't need to take the trouble to go to Balicasag

Thanks everyone!

It is pretty easy to get to Bohol from Dumaguete. As of writing there is an OceanJet fast craft leaving at 3pm, arriving in Bohol at 5pm. You should be in your resort by 545pm. They also have a business class on board with big seats which are nice. Just bring long sleeves, they run the AC at about 5C.

Tagbilaran to Dumaguete - Dumaguete to Tagbilaran - OceanJet

Haven't dived Apo in years but not hearing complaints. And I am hearing rumours of Hammerheads . . .

Dived Apo islands less than 2 years ago and wasn't impressed : eastern coast corals had been washed out after succesive storms, now a bare bottom the ex- reserve is closed for diving. Dives on the western coast are quite tame, lots of hard corals and very few fish.
Hammerheads I've heard of were found 60m to 80m below, not really the type of diving that is usually proposed.

For me Apo doesn't stand the comparison with colorful and lively Balicasag that I dived one year ago. I think it would be a really good idea to move to Panglao for some coral dives, otherwise you may be disappointed.

No rumours anymore. Hammerheads have been seen at Apo (fortunately by me :D) at depths between 45m to 60m. Nice close siting of a Great on one dive. Threshers have also been seen in the same vicinity.

I have heard of both shark species been spotted shallower - however, don't come in expecting to find the whole island bubbling with sharky goodness!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom