Day trips from Khao Lak in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pidan22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I plan to visit Khao Lak early in May 1 - 5. I want to make day trips to the famous Bon/ Tachai/ Richelieu Rock. But I don’t know if there’s still dive shop operating by then.
Already checked with Wetzone, their last trip will be in April. And Seven Sea is depended on the sea condition.

Probably not the best idea. Weather will be heading into the monsoon season, which means significant wave action, and the visibility can easily drop off to green goo. Thai speedboat operators aren't exactly known for their safety culture either - look at the string of accidents that happened in late December. There's a reason established operators who've been running those trips for years are shutting down for the season, and it's not that they've earned more money than they can spend over the winter. Unless your plans are already set in stone, you're much better off going to Koh Tao and diving Chumphon Pinnacle, Southwest Pinnacle, Sail Rock, and, if you're into macro, Tao Tong.

Probably not the best idea. Weather will be heading into the monsoon season, which means significant wave action, and the visibility can easily drop off to green goo. Thai speedboat operators aren't exactly known for their safety culture either - look at the string of accidents that happened in late December. There's a reason established operators who've been running those trips for years are shutting down for the season, and it's not that they've earned more money than they can spend over the winter. Unless your plans are already set in stone, you're much better off going to Koh Tao and diving Chumphon Pinnacle, Southwest Pinnacle, Sail Rock, and, if you're into macro, Tao Tong.
What about koh lipe at that time?

What about koh lipe at that time?
The marine parks in both Koh Lanta and Lipe usually closed in mid June. You should get good accommodation rate at Lipe at that time of the year. But getting there is exhaustive and time consuming if starting from Phuket.
Khao Lak to Similans is a long day trip on speed boat and if the sea is rough.......
You only have 5 days so please plan carefully.
I would turn up at Khao Lak and if no decent diving trip is available then I will concentrate on the rain forest at Khao Sok.

I dived a lot with Lanta Diver from Koh Lanta in June last year.
That is supposed to be low or green season.
We had poor visibility some days, but some of the days we had fantastic visibility.
We never had any rough weather, the boat was not crowded and we saw some really nice marine-life.
The best was one day in Koh Ha when we saw 3 different whalesharks.

Usually the marine park (Koh Ha and Hin Daeng /Muang) is closed between May 15th and October 14th, but last year as well as this year they are keeping the marine park open until June 30th.

I believe the Marine Park in Koh Lanta will only be closed for two months this yr.
I met someone recently in Southern Leyte few days ago, she and her partner went to Koh Lipe last May and has fantastic time. They even dived Stonehenge and 8 miles Rock which were not possible last month when I was there.

The conditions in both Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe were awful last month.
Extremely poor vis, jelly fish and strong wind etc really dampened the fun of scuba diving.
Conditions in May might improve! It can't get any worst, can it?

The conditions in both Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe were awful last month.
Extremely poor vis, jelly fish and strong wind etc really dampened the fun of scuba diving.
Conditions in May might improve! It can't get any worst, can it?
Wow, I dived in Lanta last year, also January. The condition was great and crystal clear water. Even saw the whaleshark. I think it really depends. And maybe a bit of luck?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom