DC 500 Questions HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete Ve

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Folks.
I have a SeaLife DC500 that I can not take clear pictures with,either in the uw housing or out.The pictures almost always come out blurry! I have returned it to the manufacturer and they tell me there is noting wrong with it. It seems to me that the lag between pressing the shutter button and actually taking the photo is the culprit. Is there a technique or trick that can help me overcome this problem?
I would also like to know if anyone is aware of another camera (Canon,Nikon,etc) that might work in this uw housing,even if only totally automatic(point&shoot only).

I am really frustrated ,HELP,please!!!!

Sincerely
Pete V

No, underwater housings are camera specific... nothing else will fit.

Here's how you can find out if your camera is defective.

Go outside in broad daylight with the camera out of the housing. Place the camera in the self-timer mode and set it firmly on a table, bench or other hard surface. Press the shutter button, step back and let the camera take a picture. If the picture is clear, then the camera works, if it is still blurry then it is broken/non-functioning.

No, underwater housings are camera specific... nothing else will fit.

Here's how you can find out if your camera is defective.

Go outside in broad daylight with the camera out of the housing. Place the camera in the self-timer mode and set it firmly on a table, bench or other hard surface. Press the shutter button, step back and let the camera take a picture. If the picture is clear, then the camera works, if it is still blurry then it is broken/non-functioning.
Don't try to understand that until you try it. It works.

I had problems shooting pics a party with a Canon P&S I thot I knew how to handle. After talking over my issues in Non-diving forum, then calling Canon for over the phone trouble shooting, I finally noticed that I had taken to holding my camera in a way that my finger crowded the flash.

Anyway, do that test and let us know. We'll help more after, ok? There are other possibilities, but first things first.

Thank you for your assistance. I will try what has been suggested and follow up in this forum.
Thank-you again.
Pete V

Hi Folks,
I did like you suggested and took several pictures with the timer.
They all came out fine!! Sooo now I guess this means I'm the culprit.
I would welcome any suggestions that would help me to take
"non blurry" pictures with this camera.
Thanks
Pete Ve

Some mistakes I have made have been not holding the camera steady, jiggling when I pressed the shutter button, and holding cameras so that my finger partially blocked the flash which left shadows in the pics. If you know how to reduce resolution of some bad pics small enough to attach as thumbnails here (less than 400 kb), we can take a look...?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to try using this camera more. I'm hoping that I'll become more familiar with it and be able to take better pics.
Thanks again
Pete Ve

Practice - I see a lot of divers who don't have a feel for the 1/2 press focus to full press shoot difference. Practicing with the housing both in and out of the water, very gently depress the focus/shutter release till you hear the beep/see the green highlight square but without taking the shot. Once you can do this consistently, then gauge how much pressure it takes to then take the shot.

You also need to make sure you're not moving (bouyancy, current, surge, etc) between focus being obtained and picture being taken.

Finally, make sure you're using the right mode (macro, normal, landscape) for the right situation.

Good luck!

What sladerer said...! :thumb:

Even tho it's more fun to blame the camera. :D I do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom