DCI symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bg63

New
Reaction score
Dr Deco,

In an earlier thread I asked advice about a conflicting diagnosis of DCI. (see DCI after conservative dives)

In the first post, I stated that my last dive was to 65 feet for 39 minutes. I have since got a profile from my buddies computer (I don't have one). Our maximum depth was 80 feet but by computer, averaged 65 feet and then returned to 80 feet at the end of the dive (where the anchor was). 6 days later I experienced mild chest pain and the day after, lightheadednes/fatigue. I am still trying to figure out whether I got DCI or not and whether it is safe to dive again if it was.

If you go by dive tables, I overstayed my time limit, assuming the whole dive was at the maximum depth. I am not familiar with the implications of average depths shown on computers. Did I bust the no-deco limit or is the average depth equivilant to the maximum depth on a table?

Can vague neurological DCI symptoms like lightheadedness come on 7 days after a dive?

Does this additional information change your earlier view? (I am still having the lightheadedness occasionally) but several doctors are telling me that it is stress/anxiety related and they do not believe it was diving related.

You indicate that following your last dive, "6 days later I experienced mild chest pain and the day after, lightheadedness/fatigue. I am still trying to figure out whether I got DCI or not and whether it is safe to dive again if it was."

You then inquire, "Can vague neurological DCI symptoms like lightheadedness come on 7 days after a dive?"

To the best of my knowledge, there are no recorded cases of DCI where the onset of initial signs/symptoms occurred 6-7 days following the last dive. In addition, I can think of no mechanism whereby this could occur. At one week post-dive, the issue of whether or not you exceeded NDLs is no longer germane.

I assume that other possible somatic causes for your complaints, such as cardiovascular disease, have been ruled out?

Given that "... several doctors are telling me that it is stress/anxiety related and they do not believe it was diving related," this may be worth pursuing. Are you being treated for this? Have you consulted a mental health professional?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Dear bg63:

Six Days Later

The does not really appear to be any mechanism that would allow a large gas phase to exist six days after a dive. In addition, it would not only be required to be present, but it also must suddenly enlarge from a subclinical size to a one where clinical manifestations are present.

Mercifully, such things do not exist in diving. In medicine, there are such things as “latent viruses” and exposure can result in disease ten to twenty years later. There are no such latencies in diving.

As DocVikingo indicated, something else is occurring in your case. To explain the hoof beats, you must search for horses and not zebras.

Best of luck!

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom