DE Wreck dives on Oct 26th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade

Reaction score
Just reserved a spot for myself on Oct 26th trip with Surface Interval.

Two 70' dives: USS Blenny & African Queen.
Should be fun.

Anyone else is up for it? There are several spots still available.

I might be up for that. What is the total cost? Are you camping, hoteling, or just driving up early?

But not doing that again… :crazyeyes :snore:

It’s off-season now, a really quick check on Expedia showed rooms available from $59 and up. If you feel it’s worth the hassle to call hotels directly or just walk in, I believe, you might find better rates. I’ll be booking ahead and staying in a room.

BTW, I don’t object to sharing a room and splitting the cost.

Just stayed at the Harbor View Motel (302-539-0500) this past weekend which is literally 5 minutes max from The Surface Interval. $55 for a double. We were blown out because of the weather but enjoyed the beach, etc for the day.
Lemonade, if you reserve with some of these motels in advance, they have a 72 hour cancellation policy and many times you won't know until the day before or the day of the dive if you are going out. Maybe last minute reservations are best because the motels are EMPTY!
I have been blown out three times for the Surface Interval this fall and have yet to go out. Fingers crossed for the African Queen/Blenny dive!

My first attempt at a coastal trip entailed of a 3 hour drive to find out the trip was blow out, followed by another 3 hour drive back. Yes, I am on the hotel bandwagon from here on out also.

The only thing worse that having to wake up at 6am on a Saturday for a dive trip is having to wake up at 3am.

Tommy

Please excuse some newbie questions. First, is this a drysuit dive, or will thick neoprene make it?

Second, I looked at the website, and it indicates the 10/26 dive is $85. That strikes me as a bit pricey for a BYO tanks dive. Is it a long boat ride, or something?

:errrr:

... but a drysuit would be quite an asset for these dives...

Some day I'll get one. :)

$85. That's how much they charge for dive sites 20 to 30 miles from the dock.

I'm just taking my AOW this weekend in Dutch Springs. Aren't most of SI's dives require one to be at least AOW-certified? I haven't found a buddy yet willing to go deeper, will someone buddy up with me next dive season - meaning in Spring? Heck, I'll pay for your trip and no baby-sitting required here; I just have not dived in cold waters of the east cost.

Dan

Probably is a requirement. I'd check with SI.

As for paying for your buddy... :)
Another option is to sign up for an organized trip, led by an instructor.
This past summer I went with AE, the boat ride cost me less than if I were paying to the SI directly. I guess the shop gets a discount or a group rate or something...

Back
Top Bottom