Dealing with insurance after an accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN may cover 80% of the helo and 80 % of insurer non coverable charges.
I don't believe there are any 80% provisions of DAN's coverage. As far as a chopper ride, that depends, but you didn't say what you were referencing. As part of the initial rescue, should be covered; as a Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation, that has to be requested thru DAN, allowing DAN to provide the service.

purely a hyperthetical statement dandy, i was speeking about the aspects of other ins cuoverages a diver may have and how it may play into a dan responce.

I don't believe there are any 80% provisions of DAN's coverage. As far as a chopper ride, that depends, but you didn't say what you were referencing. As part of the initial rescue, should be covered; as a Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation, that has to be requested thru DAN, allowing DAN to provide the service.

as already indicated, medical and life insurance work differently (in north america).
the system is very simple and works well.

for medical insurance, you can not be over insured. there is no way to profit (unless you lied). every medical insurance application form will ask you if you have any other form of medical insurance. they also ask for the company and the policy # of your existing insurance.

your existing policy is your primary, any policy purchased afterwards becomes a secondary. this allows the insurance companies to co-ordinate and make payments. your primary is on the hook first, the secondary covers anything left over (up to the limits of coverage).

this type of co-operation is very common. as an example consider a working couple. both have group dental plans provided by their employer. each insurer will only cover 80% of expenses. so one company (primary) pays 80% and the other (secondary) pays the remaining 20%. no cost to the working couple.

In US the medical coverage provided from your employer is the primary. Then at 65 medicare becomes primary. That means if you are 63 and have work provided insurance and your wife is 66. your primary is work and your wifes primary is medicare and suplimental is your work coverage. I guess you could say that you cant have too much medical insurance however if you hve a regular policy, and you are over 65 with medicare. the work policy with, for lack of better words< will pay nothing, because they are not the primary. Your work policy now only covers the portions that medicare will not pay. The problem is su[possidly fixzed with the advantage policies. When i get my blue cross advantage policy. blue cross pays it and gets reinbursed by medicare. More crap hits the fan where there may be other parties liable for your injury. Its easy to become over insured because of the primiums you have to pay. I want to say that at my employer over 65 and primiums skyrocket to 1k per month or more. and they are not the primary coverage. Couple thta with bummer care and the high deductables you really have no insurance at all. when each ins provider has a high deductable/copays they pay out very little. so take an accident and you go to hospital and you get billed50k. your prmary pays 80% you pass the tremaining 20% to your secondary / suplimental and they pay after you pay the first 10k. Medical is no longer as simple as it was. Basically you are paying for policies that do not pay. Or better worded coverages that only pays out if it is catistrophic because of copays and deductables.

As far as making a profiet of an accident goes that is what punitive and pain & suffering is used for.

as already indicated, medical and life insurance work differently (in north america).
the system is very simple and works well.

for medical insurance, you can not be over insured. there is no way to profit (unless you lied). every medical insurance application form will ask you if you have any other form of medical insurance. they also ask for the company and the policy # of your existing insurance.

your existing policy is your primary, any policy purchased afterwards becomes a secondary. this allows the insurance companies to co-ordinate and make payments. your primary is on the hook first, the secondary covers anything left over (up to the limits of coverage).

this type of co-operation is very common. as an example consider a working couple. both have group dental plans provided by their employer. each insurer will only cover 80% of expenses. so one company (primary) pays 80% and the other (secondary) pays the remaining 20%. no cost to the working couple.

for medical insurance, you can not be over insured. there is no way to profit (unless you lied).
maybe i should clarify my statement to avoid confusion about "over insured".

the insurance industry will not over insure you for medical benefits. they are smarter than that. it would be bad for business.

you can attempt to "over insure" yourself. you are allowed to buy as many policys as you want. but your benefits will never exceed the cost of your treatments.

if you do the proper research and purchase the proper products, then your benefits coverage will hopefully match the costs of your treatments. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom