Debate Begins - Do Sharks Sneeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After working in a few aquariums, I have seen many sharks do this. I am pretty sure it is meant more to reset their jaws in place or maybe just stretch. They do it a lot after meals. Sharks don't have the equipment (lungs, diaphragm, etc.) to sneeze. What "scientists" are you referring to?

Yep, no lungs, no sneeze as we think of it. Now maybe a whale....

Do sharks fart?

So many unanswered questions.

Barracudas fart. I have a picture of one on my bedroom wall and I swear, you can see this "aaahhhh" look on his face as the bubbles pass.
I also saw one do this on Ambergris Caye.

A fart and a sneeze are not really related though. A sneeze is a reaction by your resperatory sustem to some sort of irritant to expell that from the nasal passages. A fart is from a build up of gasses into the stomach, many times caused by the chemical reactions in our guts that have nothing to do with air getting inside. So yes, fish can fart, but not sneeze in the sense that we do since they do not breathe air.

This thread is hilarious.

Actually, a fart (off gassing?) is generated from gasses building up in the intestines due to bacteria, as gasses in the stomach would be belched out. As for sneezing, this is generated more by the upper respiratory tract, rather than the lungs, which elicit coughing in response to irritants. This is for mammals anyway, I have no idea about sharks.

Maybe it was a Mexican shark,if so you might have found patient 0. :)

Are sharks more likely to fart if they've been eating Burrito Grunts?

She was hucking up Poodle bones.

Yes. Inquiring divers want to know.:popcorn:

Yes go penguins with the help of the NHL doing everything in their power to see Crosby hoist the cup:(

Back
Top Bottom