December/January best diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am always interested when someone says that they have seen everything that the Caribbean has to offer, especially when they say "We can really go anywhere and have a generous budget". Get yourself to 1) The Northeast Barrier Islands of Grenada (Ronde & Carriacou) or consider 2) Los Roques (VZ) and then Cisne/Swan. There's a bit of Caribbean remaining that if you want to dive something totally different- it only takes money.

So what do the places you list offer that is different and better than other Caribbean destinations ?

I have not been everywhere in the Caribbean, but to most of the top rated places.

Thank you for the suggestions, but no, we do not do dry-suit diving yet. Perhaps eventually since we live near Monterey Bay and keep travelling to warm water places to dive! lol

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 01:54 PM ----------

The Pelagian liveaboard and the Wakatobi Dive resort, Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia.

The Four Seasons Explorer liveaboard and Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru - it's located on Baa Atoll - the Maldives only Unesco World Heritage site. Anytime the first image on a resort website shows diving with Mantas - that's somewhere I want to be.

Wow, you took me seriously when I said I have a generous budget! The Pelagian and Wakatobi actually look fine. But where have you been that you love?

Never been to either but both are on my list.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered South Africa and Mozambique ? No livaboards but great diving to be had to the north and into Mozambique from Jan (avoid the December holidays though). Pinnacles in Ponta Do Ouro should be nice and sharky (bulls and hammerheads) and it is a good time for whalesharks in the south and especially further north around Tofo - can be windy however but hot - just a thought and not exactly an unbiased opinion :wink:

Last edited:
We've talked about Raja Ampat. I'm not sure about timing for this either. Plus, if it is an okay time of year, which liveaboard? We were supposed to go on the Arenui to Komodo in August but had to cancel (heart breaker....), but the dates it goes to RA don't work with our dates. Damai doesn't have room on our dates either. But, again, I am not sure RA is the right place to go at that time of year.

Here is a good link on best time to dive Raj Amphat. Best Time to Dive Raja Ampat, Best Diving Season, Weather Raja Ampat

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

So sorry you couldnt make it to dive with us August ... and its a real pain that we get so full (dont get me wrong, of course its good too ... but also a shame if people have specific dates as we often just dont have availability as we only have the 8 cabins so they go fast).

Even if its not with us, I'd still recommend Raja for Dec/Jan; the reason we schedule our calendar the way we do is to get the best out of Raja (then we can go to Komodo for the rest of the year as its great in that area all year round ... and we can add in some Alor/Flores and Maluku diving around the season in Raja or Komodo).

We do have an agent running a charter that departs 9 Dec 2013 ... is that too early? Or if you want to plan ahead for Raja in 2014 then we have cabins on our 15 Dec 2014 (and 1 left on the 29 Dec 2014)... if any of those dates help then let us know; info@thearenui.com

Good luck with the trip planning and happy diving! :)

I went on the Buddy Wolf during Christmas 2012. The boat and the diving was excellent. You can see my review on this site by doing a search for divekraz January 8 2013. You can also see video of the trip on Youtube and search for divekraz1. We saw whale sharks during our dives in the Gallapagos. If you go on the Buddy boat I would ask for the forward room main deck. very large room, full width of the boat. Only downside is the entire front is windows so when the boat anchors the deckhands are right in front of your room.

Back
Top Bottom