Decided on a Nikon D3200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

I originally wanted to go the Cannon Eos route, and even posted in the Cannon Corner asking which Eos to go with, but got no advice hahaha. But after some co-workers advice and late night researching I have decided to go with the Nikon D3200. Now for the housing choices. All our cameras for work are using a Ikelite Housing, which I have always liked, but out of curiosity what else is out there. I know equinox has one, but (by pictures alone) I dont think it is something I am interested in, although I do want to physically see it before any judgement is passed.

Anyway, hope you can enlighten me on some other housings that will work for the D3200.

Thank you

With the D3200 you are limiting your choice of housings to those you mentioned. Also, it limits your choice of lenses you can use underwater (while retaining autofocus / AF).

A D7000, D7100, or D7200 would open a lot more options for you. Lenses like the Tokina 10-17 FE don't have a built-in AF motor, so to use this highly-regarded lens (without manually focusing) you need the AF motor in the camera body.

I have a 3200 in an Ikelite housing, and I am very happy with it. As James said, you will have to shop carefully for lenses to make sure you choose ones that have autofocus motors built in, but honestly, there are enough good choices out there now that it isn't as big of a limitation as it might have been in the past.

If you're worried about the cost of the 7200 vs the 3200, then don't worry about the other housings anyway. There is a bigger price difference in the housings (hogyfot@$3000 vs ikelite@1500 for example) than in the bodies themselves.

If you're worried about the cost of the 7200 vs the 3200, then don't worry about the other housings anyway. There is a bigger price difference in the housings (hogyfot@$3000 vs ikelite@1500 for example) than in the bodies themselves.

Very good point.

I'm using Nik D5200 + Ikelite housing. For fisheye, I'm using Sigma 10 mm. f2.8 Fisheye, Tokin 11-16 mm. for rectangular wide and Nikon 105 mm f2.8 VR Macro. They can Autofocus and work perfect for me.

I'm using Nik D5200 + Ikelite housing. For fisheye, I'm using Sigma 10 mm. f2.8 Fisheye, Tokin 11-16 mm. for rectangular wide and Nikon 105 mm f2.8 VR Macro. They can Autofocus and work perfect for me.

Those lenses include a focus motor. This is indicated by AF-S marking on the Nikkor lens. You'll have to look up the specs on Tokina and Sigma lenses. The only drawback I can think of is that AF-S type lenses cost a little more. If you buy a 3200 or 5200 or other nikon without a focus motor, you simply have to make sure the lenses you buy include one.

It's actually a good thing to have AF-S lenses even on bodies with a focus motor. AF-S lenses focus faster than lenses that rely on the camera body.

I also support the idea of a D7000 or above for the reason of the internal focus motor. When you are buying ports, strobes, a housing and lenses the difference in camera body prices starts to pale.

You our might even consider one of the lower range full frame cameras because the fixed costs of the other gear is very similar to that of a cropped sensor.

I have used ikelite housings which are functional. In my limited experience, I found the controls a bit less than smooth. I use a nauticam housing and I find the controls to be very precise. Sure it costs more than the Ikelite housing but when you look at the total package, the percentage difference is not that great.

Whatever you get, I would strongly suggest you get a vacuum lock system on your housing. I have one on my housing. It is really nice to crank it up and get the confirm of a good seal. It does not cost much and is really cheap piece of mind. I used to worry about the seal on many dives and now I can just check the seal integrity anytime I want.

Back
Top Bottom