Deco dive plan sheet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, guys, you're reading too much into this.

This is a class form. My instructor took things from various places. (eg, why the "TDI CANADA – MULTI-MIX DIVE PLANNING WORKSHEET" is on there.) He cut them out and literally pasted them on a page and copied it.

I took his xerox'd form and put it into an editable format so he could play with it as he wishes. This form, filled out as a dive plan for certification dives, becomes a permanent part of the student's record.

As was said above, after the student does the dives manually a few times, and demonstrates understanding, pull out the vPlanner.

Fortunately, after this weekend, (God Willing and the weather doesn't turn), I will complete my AN/DP (after eight months!!!!) and be certified.

Might I suggest finding an instructor who cares about your personal safety and won't let you dive antiquated tables?

Do you find it weird that you're doing it one way in class and then switching to a completely different one after class?
<sigh> We are not. I do it manually, I run vPlanner, I run my Sol on various micro-bubble levels, and we discuss the differences.
Is your instructor explaining conservatism, Buhl vs VPM, how to choose gradient factors, etc?
Yes, yes, yes . . . And I've studied Mark Powell's book.
It sounds like you're getting a class that will teach you how to dive in a way which you know isn't a good idea. I would suggest getting training for the dives you're doing, not getting a card to justify it. Just my $0.02.

Okay, how many threads do we have on "should we teach tables or computers?" C'mon, guys, he's teaching it all - he wants a thorough understanding of the eaches and the processes, we have to clear all computers and tables on the cert dives, and in case my computers go south (yeah, right, three of them?) I have to pull the tables out of my pocket.

C'mon, guys, seriously? I'm getting (or my instructor is getting) grief for teaching tables and manual means? :lol:

My suggestion is to exchange the whole chart for two columns (depth | time).

Perhaps not really relevant given the above, but I must amend my previous post.

Three columns: depth | time | gas

In my class we had to be able to make the calculations using USN tables for each dive. We did it for academic purposes only. Our actual dives were planned and executed according to V-planner.

It was interesting to note the difference in deco time using USN tables verses what V-planner had us doing using O2.

Is that how you are doing it JAX?

In my class we had to be able to make the calculations using USN tables for each dive. We did it for academic purposes only. Our actual dives were planned and executed according to V-planner.

It was interesting to note the difference in deco time using USN tables verses what V-planner had us doing using O2.

Is that how you are doing it JAX?

Exactly. My instructor liked the Canadian TDI worksheet, and put a few other things with it for convenience so the class could execute without the book.

Except . . . our actual cert dives have to clear vPlanner, the computers, and the Navy tables. :( I think he's trying to instill an appreciation for how far we've come.

Telling him, "I appreciate it, I appreciate it!" isn't helping one darn bit! :rofl3:

EDIT: Please understand I really do appreciate his diligence. I really believe I have a good understanding of the physiology and science and requirements of decompression procedures. I geekily enjoy playing with the math. :)

What are you using for deco tables? I'll be doing my Normoxic class with Dayo Scuba in Orlando, and it's V-Planner all the way, although I'll have to use it to cut tables, and run my X1 in gauge mode during class.

So is plugging and chugging numbers into Vplanner (or whatever) what passes for teaching technical dive planning....?

While I certainly appreciate the ease of these tools, there is something about doing it the hard way during class and struggling over understanding the concepts you gain in doing the work long hand.....

I've attached the sheet used in my Normoxic class, I added in some of formulas for the simple math...

-Tim

Attachments

• OWENS TEK CCR PLAN.xls
    320.5 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Jax
Pssst, JAX, don't tell anyone but I use an HP15C. I wrote a little program to help do the calcs so I didn't have to type it in all the time during class.

While I certainly appreciate the ease of these tools, there is something about doing it the hard way during class and struggling over understanding the concepts you gain in doing the work long hand.....

-Tim

'Zackly!!! :hugs:

Pssst, JAX, don't tell anyone but I use an HP15C. I wrote a little program to help do the calcs so I didn't have to type it in all the time during class.

:rofl3: :hugs:

My instructor saw me run a program on mine, and took it away from me, handing me a 4-function calculator!!!!! I whined like a baby that lost its pacifier!!!!!! :rofl3:

His words: "Every class you will have to show me you still understand the basic concepts."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom