Deco help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bishop

Contributor
Reaction score
So, the gf and I did a day of diving and we both feel like we have run a marathon in our knees. Could this be a subclinical DCS issue? And the second question, which I already think I know the answer to, the use of nitrox would help some of these sub-clincal issues because the increased O2?

Can you give us some more info? Length of dive? Profile? Any other factors that might affect you physically, such as new gear, long hike, new kick styles etc?

The more info you can provide, the better your chance at getting a quality response.

I think I might have over reacted on this. I was diving doubles for the first time and I had one heck of a walk (Catfish - from the parking lot to the spring). Next time I'm bringing a hand cart. Everything feels just fine.

No deeper then 60 feet. Came nowhere near NDL. Had a fast ascent from 35 feet once, got me kinda worried.

Dear Readers:

Exercise Stress

Please recall what I have cautioned. Strenuous physical exercise is factor in micronuclei formation. Deco procedures are not tested on divers performing prodigious feats of strength.

DCS was not involved here, but in other cases it might have been.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Also,

one thing that I do on all my cave dives is to spend
at least 5 minutes on the surface just floating
around relaxing before doing any activity at
all. It's a good time to think about the dive and
debrief with your buddy. I do it in the ocean too when
I can depending on conditions.

Try to consider the surface your last deco stop.

As Dr. Deco says avoid exercise after diving
and if you can't then put it off as long as you
can.

Kell

Dear Readers:

Hidden Stop

There are some divers who refer to the pause at the surface, before reentering the boat, as the “hidden stop.” Since decompression (off gassing) occurs for a considerable length of time following the dive, the pause helps to eliminate dissolved nitrogen. Thus, the diver will have less in the tissues when they climb aboard. A reduced supersaturation is best to discourage micronuclei growth.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I just thought that I was being polite by letting other divers climb back on the boat first. Now I am going to make an effort to really be polite as it appears to have some benefit.

That's something I usually do too, just to enjoy floating around, but now I'll know it's good for me too :D

Great discussion here...

Cheerz

how much off gassing can occur at the surface unless you're breathing nitrox?

the deco info i read imply that the gradient
is so low that insignificant offgassing occurs at 89% n2.

the gue folks get all hot and bothered just by using 80% vs 100% o2 for the last deco stop. (read the bakers dozen) dut to the " o2 window ".

i can understand resting at 10-15 feet with a deco mix, but once you're at the surface and bubbling ( or whatever the gas is doing ) isn't it game over?

dt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom