Deco with too less air, options from the book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Internet at its best is simply the modern day forum in the tradition of the ancient Greeks & Romans of "debating the wisest courses of action by exchanging information and opinions in new ways". But it should not be a substitute for a formal in-class lecture and training on a subject so vital as "Non-Military/Non-Professional Mandatory Recreational/Sport Decompression Diving": Start your learning & training with a trusted fundamental source in person as baseline . . .then go out there online and search for relevant data, opinions, scientific studies and anecdotes as well etc. --to see how everyone else is faring in applying it all. . .

I think I will stay with tables and a computer, but if RD is so damn simple that a diver can do it correctly (even when stressed out and task loaded), then why the heck shouldn't this seemingly simple mathematical algorithm be easily taught on the internet? Obviously implementation of decompression is somewhat risky, but is disseminating the basic technique dangerous? (I learned how to rig a stage bottle on the internet, that could be dangerous too, yes?)

I'm currently in the middle of UTD's online ratio deco course. I'm not doing any dives beyond the NDL's, so it's more of an intellectual exercise for me. That said, RD seems very simple and I plan on applying it to some min-deco (NDL) dives in the near future.

While I would say the material is incredibly simple, it can definitely be misunderstood easily and an internet forum is not, in my opinion, the place to disseminate basic technique for it. The online class is great because all the information is up front and there's a recorded lecture on all the material, but I don't think a discussion trying to explain it on scubaboard would do the class any justice whatsoever. If you want to learn ratio deco, then take a class on it, otherwise you just won't get all the information you would need to dive it safely.

Why would you assume that tissue that has been damaged by "bubbles" (or some other injury) might not retain some susceptibility to re-injury in the future?????

I know a guy who has been bent in the same elbow a number of times, always the same side.

I am not assuming anything I was bent once and spent a lot of time on the phone with DAN. One thing they told me was that it is a myth that once bent you are at more risk to get bent again. They did how ever say if bent again you could do more damage to any tissue that was damaged the first time.

But I am sure that because you know a guy that you are much better informed than DAN. Please send me your number so if I am bent in the future I can call you instead.:wink:

double post

Last edited:
I am not assuming anything I was bent once and spent a lot of time on the phone with DAN. One thing they told me was that it is a myth that once bent you are at more risk to get bent again. They did how ever say if bent again you could do more damage to any tissue that was damaged the first time.

But I am sure that because you know a guy that you are much better informed than DAN. Please send me your number so if I am bent in the future I can call you instead.:wink:

So DAN says that no matter how much damage you do to a tissue (like a bone for example) as a result of multiple instances of DCI, there is no change in vascularity or any other physical attribute which could be related to ongassing/offgassing?.
:shakehead::shakehead:

Sounds like a good topic for a new thread. I had always heard that getting bent made your more susceptible, but I don't think I have ever read anything authoritative on the subejct.

Sounds like a good topic for a new thread. I had always heard that getting bent made your more susceptible, but I don't think I have ever read anything authoritative on the subejct.

I've heard that too, but find it more likely that some people (my wife, for example) are just more susceptible than others, which is why they may get bent on the same benign profile where others are completely asymptomatic.

It's really easy to say "now that you've been bent, you are more susceptible to it," but the fact of the matter may well be that they were just highly susceptible to it in the first place.

I know this thread is getting old, but I was reading Gary Gentile's book on the Andrea Doria, and a story within it brought this thread very much to mind.

The dive in question involves Gary and another famous wreck diver, Steve Gatto, making one of the early dives down to the dining room of the Doria to get china. They are bagging up their china - it all silts up to hell - zero vis, and their time runs low, so they signal to ascend back up to their opening in the wreck. Up they ascend, and then... bump. Hard ceiling that wasn't their before. Minor panic moment, work their way around it by touch, find a route through - now they have run over planned time and air is lower than it should be. They get onto the line and start ascending.

Unbeknownst to them, a storm has blown up above them. The emergency tanks which were hanging at 20 feet have all been pulled back in, and the captain is waiting to cut the anchor line as soon as the divers break the surface.

Back down below they recalculate their deco and they have do 16 minutes more than they had planned. Not looking good on the remaining gas supplies. By 20 feet their doubles have run dry and have to switch to their pony bottles. With over 10 minutes to go, Gatto signals out of air and ascends. Gentile thinks Gatto is in deep trouble, but that he probably only has one or two more minutes of air himself. 60 seconds later Gatto splashes back in holding a set of doubles in his right hand and swims back down. Both divers complete deco breathing off the new set of doubles which Gatto brings back. Happy ending.

Although both divers are now known as two of the most experienced wreck divers in the world, I suspect that it was experiences like this back in the 1970s that made them experienced wreck divers. Not recommended procedure by any means, but good for the "what if" game.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom