Deep Air Poll. Well, Someone Has To Put Their Head Over The Parapet...

Deep Air: Do it, Did It, Never Would?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP's question, I follow the guidelines from my training. OC w/ enough gas; 55M in the past and if OC on air was the only choice for something due to location I would still go to 55M in OW, when practical today I'd use my CCR for anything deeper than 30M. I try to keep my equivalent air depth to 40M on the CCR in case something goes wrong so I can still think well enough to figure it out.

Used to dive deep air until I started with trimix, with helium's future, may be doing deep air again.

I use the safest gas for any dive (subject to its availability), but continue to dive Deep-Air with OC. I'm reasonably familiar with my personal safe diving envelope. I now restrict my personal maximum depth on Air to 250 FSW. If Helium is available, I prefer to use it past 200 FSW, but it depends on the dive (I've selected it for lesser depths). That said, I've thumbed a dive using Air at 160 FSW because of how it effected my performance on that particular day. It really depends upon how I feel and the on-going performance assessment.

I might mention that most of my recreational Deep-Air usage has been before mixed-gas became more readily available. The bottom line for me is that using mix on a relatively shallow dive is a waste, unless it's needed. IGN varies considerably from one person to another. Whatever a Diver chooses to use on any particular dive is up to them. As an Instructor, I can conform to training protocols, make recommendations as to maximum depths and explain the reasons for a particular position, but once certified it comes down to the individual to make his/her own risk assessment.

I no longer dive deep air for the simple reason, to shamelessly steal a wonderfully-descriptive definition from DCBC's post above:

My "personal safe diving envelope" has shrunk over the years.... it is no longer an oversized Priority Mail envelope.... these days it is more "postcard-sized" :D.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom