Deep Sea Detectives 6/20/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian

Reaction score
I'm a little late on the first showing but there are two Deep Sea Detective shows on tonight specifically about cave diving. The new one (2005) plays at 10pm EST, followed at 11pm EST by the previous cave diving special. They then rerun at 2am and 3am a few hours later.

Here's the synopsis for the new show (10pm 6/20 and 2am 6/21):

More Secret Underwater Caves: For more than a thousand years, the Taíno people flourished on the islands comprising the Greater Antilles--modern-day Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. Five centuries ago, they seemingly vanished--millions of people gone in the blink of an eye. The DSD team explores the archaeological record, a lost city deep in the jungle, disturbing legends, and secret water-filled caves to learn how a people rich in natural resources could so quickly fall victim to malnutrition and unspeakable violence. The most sacred of their caves, known as "eyes of the beast", hold artifacts in their murky depths that may reveal the true fate of the Taíno.

and here's the one for the older show (11pm 6/20 and 3am 6/21):

Secret Underwater Caves: Within the Island of Cozumel in Mexico, there winds a 6-mile underwater cave system named Cueva Quebrada. Almost a mile from any entrance lies a significant cache of Mayan artifacts, a burial mound, found in 1991 by cave explorers Jeff Bozanic and Steve Ormeroid. How did the Mayans place these objects a mile back into the cave system? Deep Sea Detective John Chatterton trains to become a cave diver and uses the newest technology for a deep and treacherous dive to solve the mystery.

Both shows mention Jeff Bozanic, whom they called the most famous cave diver in the world (or something to the effect). He trained John Chatterton in the first episode and he trains Richie Kohler in the second episode. I'm not into cave diving (yet!), so I'm just wondering if the guy is all that or if it's just Hollywood hype?

Kriterian:
Both shows mention Jeff Bozanic, whom they called the most famous cave diver in the world (or something to the effect). He trained John Chatterton in the first episode and he trains Richie Kohler in the second episode. I'm not into cave diving (yet!), so I'm just wondering if the guy is all that or if it's just Hollywood hype?

I don't know if he's the most famous cave diver in the world. Sheck was pretty famous too. :wink:

Jeff is the new editor of Immersed Magazine and there's been a interesting thread about him at TDS.

-Bill

Thanks for the info. I had better record it before going to bed....:wink:

Kriterian:
I'm a little late on the first showing but there are two Deep Sea Detective shows on tonight specifically about cave diving. The new one (2005) plays at 10pm EST, followed at 11pm EST by the previous cave diving special. They then rerun at 2am and 3am a few hours later.

bedmund:
I don't know if he's the most famous cave diver in the world. Sheck was pretty famous too. :wink:

Jeff is the new editor of Immersed Magazine and there's been a interesting thread about him at TDS.

-Bill

He seemed pretty knowledgable. I just figured since I had heard of Exley, I would have definitely heard of the Jeff guy they were touting so much. I keep meaning to pick up a copy or subscription to Immersed, it sounds pretty good.

I liked the shows, although the "mystery" in the second show was a little better than the first one. They didn't really ever seem to solve how the artifacts got so far back in an underwater cave in that first one. Man I wish I had a TIVO.

Kriterian:
He seemed pretty knowledgable. I just figured since I had heard of Exley, I would have definitely heard of the Jeff guy they were touting so much. I keep meaning to pick up a copy or subscription to Immersed, it sounds pretty good.

I liked the shows, although the "mystery" in the second show was a little better than the first one. They didn't really ever seem to solve how the artifacts got so far back in an underwater cave in that first one. Man I wish I had a TIVO.

I thought the reason was because the cenote had "filled in" at the surface? Didn't make much sense to me at the time but I was watching it early in the morning.

Kriterian:

I think "most famous" is an invention of the scriptwriter. He is, however, a cave diver of long experience, an excellent instructor, a well-known writer of books on re-breathers, and a very nice individual.

SeanQ:
I thought the reason was because the cenote had "filled in" at the surface? Didn't make much sense to me at the time but I was watching it early in the morning.

Correct. The shallow pond with the opening in the center to the lower reaches (may actually have been just a hole in the ground) filled up as mud, debris, and so on slid into it and jammed the hole. Later on the patch actually dried out.

The theory is that this would have happened only after the Maya left the area. They would have kept their sacred well clear while it was in use.

I am watching it. They didn't say Jeff was 'the most famous' they said he was 'an expert cave diver'....which I believe he is.....as is a number of others.

It thought it was an excellent show, since I have no idea about cave diving it let me take a peek into your guys little world. Very cool !

Kinda distracting with all the big red OMS logos all over the place though

And now a message from our sponsor! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom