Deep Sea Diver's Den vs Cairns diving Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

general

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going diving in Cairns. I'll be taking one of the affordable, better value liveaboards close to Cairns (yes, I know all about Cod Hole/Coral Sea and am not interested so please don't post suggesting it unless you're going to pay for it) and am wondering if anyone can recommend Deep Sea Diver's Den vs Cairns Diving Center. They seem to be the two pre-eminent boats. I'm looking for good diving and a good time. Other suggestions are welcome also. Thanks.

My wife and I went diving with the CDC Kangaroo Explorer earlier this year. They are still going to relatively decent dive sites (one of them is amongst the top 10 in OZ) and we even encountered minkie whales.....
The Kangaroo Explorer is big which means cabins have a decent size. Food is good and you will certainly not starve.
Also important: while the dive sites are not overly challenging, if you are experienced they let you do your own thing. This is important since CDC uses the liveaboard to OW and AOW certification.
Cannot say anything about DSDD.

Thanks for the info. I will have finished my OW cert about a week before, so I won't be advanced. Did you bring your own alcohol and snacks with you? How much were things on board? What sort of crowd and ages were the people aboard?

I did not bring my own snacks or alcohol but I don't think it would be a problem if you did. They sell beer and wine on board and it's not excessively expensive. Don't remember how much it was. The other things for charge are if you require a guide (I think it was A$15 a head) and if you want to buy a video and stuff like that.
The crowd was very international and in the 20s to early 30s...

I dove with Deep Sea Divers Den in 2001 and was quite happy with the experience (although I would have loved to do the Coral Sea liveaboard that was also an option). In fact, their "DM" (Paul Crottie) was the only instructor on my 3-month backpacking and diving trip that knew what my Los Angeles County c-card meant (he called it a museum piece)! He was first class in my book. I enjoyed my dives with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom