Deep stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a deep stop. I also use a double time ascent to my deep stop.

Yeah, we don't really know what Doppler-detected bubbles really represent. After all, it's intravascular bubbles that we are looking at. They're probably just an indicator that some sort of decompression stress occurred fairly recently. Still, they are straightforward to measure and certainly quantitative. :D

I like the idea of a "fatigue inventory" in addition to simple self-reporting of how tired the subject is. Maybe some sort of video game could be designed or adapted which tests mental fatigue. :idk:

Eh, maybe. Personally, I think venous bubbling is a reasonable way to eliminate inert gas, provided you don't overload the lung filter. Without more research into "nitrogen stress" and subclinical DCS, its hard to say exactly what the cause is.

A good survey can be reliable and produce repeatable results for the fatigue inventory. A simulation or series of taks that tests mental acuity could work, too, perhaps. Lots of options. Someone give me a bunch of funding, a job at NEDU, and a brigade of volunteers ready to be bent like pretzels and we could be in business!

Fun little exercise were doin!

The best measures I know are when people go to bed, get up, how many naps they take and (on research cruises) how up-to-date their paperwork is. This is the best support I know of for EAN and for the use of computer controlled slow ascents. When we started using EAN and computers on cruises dives were longer, naps were fewer, the lab was more crowded at night and there were more folks at the morning meal. I suspect that the same would be true for deep stops.

... why don'tchya just bring more gas? That way you can skip the niggles ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have "backed down" my get out of the water time to solve that problem. I do, however, know exactly how fast I can ascend and how short of a deco I can do without getting bent toooo bad. But every diver is different on every single day. I may get bent doing a longer deco also.

More anecdotal opinions for you....

Before deep stops were popular, I started doing what I called a "3-stage safety stop" that I also maintain results in "feeling better" especially after multiple days of multiple dives. I make my first stop at 20' for 2 minutes, then 15' for 3 minutes, and 10' for another minute. There isn't much variation there, but it made a difference for me. This is with 30 fpm ascents after a variety of profiles. By "feeling better" I am comparing the standard 3 minutes (or longer) at 15' which I never skip.

I think the point is, everyone has different physiology. If you are not exceeding the limits of an algorithm, I see no harm in experimenting with subtle "tweaks" if they seem to do you some good. This assumes to a previous poster's point that doing the extra stops does not put you at risk of an out-of-air situation, but since that is completely preventable, I hesitated to even mention the caveat.

The Deep Stop I use that make me Feel Good consists in hovering at 6 inches from the bottom for 3 minutes - without touching the bottom - .... at the incredible depth of ~8ft.
(If I touch the bottom I feel bad for the rest of the day)

Then I try to surface in more than 2 minutes .... but the last 3 ft are hard :depressed:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom