Defog formula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use cigarette lighter, and burn the lense from the inside. All the silicone that leached off the skirt onto the glass instantly turns black, make sure you get the corners good, and just wipe off the glass with a tissue. Dont wipe with fingers or clothing, and residue is hard to remove. Glass is tempered, so heat won't hurt it. Skirt is thick silicone, and it would take good amount of burning to damage it. Mask is good for about a month or two after this defog method. I have not had much success with toothpaste on new masks.

I'd just like to point out that if you understand the English language, in order to defog something you would have to have some fog first!

I use anti-fog, before the dive and before there is any fog!

To the people who spit in their mask...ew?
Isn't it like...unhygenic...and also...yukk! Haha!

To the people who spit in their mask...ew?
Isn't it like...unhygenic...and also...yukk! Haha!

It's about as unhygienic as putting a regulator in a mouth :wink:

It's true that your mouth is full of bacteria, but so do your skin and cornea.

As long as the harmless bacteria prosper, the bad ones won't affect you. If you rinse your mask it's very unlikely you'll end up with a bacterial infection.

Actually, some doctors found that salivary gland transplant is an easy solution to dry eye! (Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2005)

Anyway, spit is free and I never run out of it. Good enough for me :)

As an old bacteriology prof used to say, "The world is covered in a fine layer of s**t".

I keep my mask in a plastic mask case between dives (usually a couple weeks at a time between dives). I know that plastics out-gas and leave a film on your mask lens. Just look at your windshield and note that film on the inside of it: thats from the plastics in your car's interior out-gassing. So my question is: do you think that masks kept in a plastic case fog more (even after a rigorous initial cleaning) because they have the film from the case plastic out-gassing on them? If you do not keep your mask in a plastic case, do you find you do not have much of an issue with fogging?

Interesting question. We should conduct an experiment. I store my mask in the box with the lid cracked becaue it's usually still drying out when I put it in there.

I put it in the box the first time and it kept fogging...then just left it on a hook to dry..and it stopped fogging!

do you think that masks kept in a plastic case fog more (even after a rigorous initial cleaning) because they have the film from the case plastic out-gassing on them?

I always keep my masks in their own plastic cases. I don't experience fog. Ever.

I do spit/rub/rinse the mask before each dive...

Back
Top Bottom