Delrin Distributor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bs63366

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for someone that sells delrin tubing for a can light battery pack. Anybody have a supplier to go through?

Kyle

McMaster Carr (McMaster-Carr) sells delrin in several sizes. If you put type "delrin" in the search box, you can then narrow down choices by shape, size, color etc. If other plastics might work for you, you can just put in "plastic" and then narrow by shape/diameter etc to see all the choices that might work for you. The nice thing about using McMaster is that they ship from many different warehouses, so UPS ground is usually only a 1 day delivery in the US. I've just noticed that you're in Japan, though, and I'm not sure about shipping there.

Hope this helps,
Colin

What is the wall thickness recommended for a battery canister?

Allied Plastics or Regal Plastics in Dallas... They have other warehouses too, but those are where I go. Allied is cheapest I have found. I leave 1/4" wall so I'll have enough "meat" to drive the latch screws in.

First of all, you don't buy Delrin "tubing" for a light canister. You buy Delrin rod, then you bore it out on a lathe to make the appropriate canister bottom. Delrin is not a plastic that is bondable, other than with very specialized glues, which are hard to use and not something you be able to obtain nor use at home.

Wall thicknesses are generally around 1/4". That's enough with Delrin to handle a few hundred feet without significant distortion.

My favorite online supplier for Delrin, 6061 Aluminum, brass, and 316L SS would be Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com. You should be able to find what you need there.

PVC works for ME.

I have used PVC drainage pipe, then made Delrin plugs for the ends. One threaded and non-removable, the other removable for batter access.
Here in North America I use Sabic Polymershapes for my delrin, and PVC you can get at pluming/hardware stores.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom