Delrin vs. SS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a matter of cost, but the pain in the arse to change all of them out. So the thread was to figure out whether I should spend the time changing them out based on some magically superior notion. :)

mempilot:
It's not a matter of cost, but the pain in the arse to change all of them out. So the thread was to figure out whether I should spend the time changing them out based on some magically superior notion. :)
Yeah....that whole 10 minutes it's going to take....hell...open a beer or two...pop on your favorite show, and do it during the commercial breaks.

Magic Notion...."Plastic bad...Metal good"

you can even spray paint them magic colors if you like :D

Big-t-2538:
Yeah....that whole 10 minutes it's going to take....hell...open a beer or two...pop on your favorite show, and do it during the commercial breaks.

Magic Notion...."Plastic bad...Metal good"

you can even spray paint them magic colors if you like :D

I forgot to mention, I'm lazy! :)) Hell, after a couple of bears, my harness would look like a spider web! Maybe I'll drink Kool-Aid and watch a DIR tape! As for the colors, I can't get the paint to stick to the SS. Oh well, shiny, I like shiny, shiny is good!

I'd say we've wasted enough bandwidth on this. Now, someone start a thread on bent vs. straight D-rings and how the bends might create a failure point. :)

AS I stated in my first reply... I know some of the folks at OMS and other tek companies and those are plastic and not delrin.. But and its a big but... People I spoke with have never had a plastic one break or cause any problems.. Remeber they would not put anything on a tek diving rig that may break and cause an injury to a diver.. Its called a lawsuit and can be very costly to these small tek companies...

Stainless looks better but you are safe using either unless you plan on lifting a boat from the bottom.. In www.abyss.biz the price for the stainless ones are .86 not a big deal either way...

Safe Diving

Abyssdiver... I think you're mostly right about the keepers... I still use stainless because a) they're cheap, and b) I KNOW they're always going to work. It's not a case of if the plastic ones will break, it's when. Eventually, they will.

But, for what it's worth, I take exception to the line "they would not put anything on a tek diving rig that may break and cause an injury." This is the same company that creates a 100 lb wing!

Question for everyone:

There's always the comment from someone on this board on every thread like this that states, "...it's not a matter of whether it will break, but when..."

Not really picking on you Boogie, but who can name a time where a delrin (plastic) tri-glide has broken, let alone caused someone to get hurt or die.

Why would a company like OMS, Halcyon, or Dive Rite use Delrin if there was even a chance that this would happen? Seems like a single lawsuit would more than kill the extra small profit from Delrin vs. Stainless.

Sounds like a case of overbuilding the mousetrap to sell more stainless gadgets. Remember, SS is for corrosion, not for strength. The quality and thickness of the metal has more to do with the strenght and not the fact that it is SS.

So, how do you know your SS is not too thin or otherwise cheap SS?

I did some research. I found some interesting applications of Delrin. It is used in making pulleys for cables due to it's strength to weight vs. steel. Interesting. BTW, OMS tri-glides are made of Delrin nylon, not just plain plastic.

This is from Dupont's website:

Delrin® acetal resin emerged from DuPont's efforts to capitalize on the success of nylon and the growing post World War II market for plastics and other synthetic materials. Efforts to develop a tough and heat resistant metal substitute began in the early 1950s, and by 1952 chemists in the Polychemicals Department had synthesized an inflexible polymer from formaldehyde that assistant research director Frank C. McGrew called "synthetic stone" and DuPont named Delrin®.

Despite its troubled beginnings, Delrin® thrived in the long run and has been steadily improved over the years. Today, Delrin® is a mainstay of DuPont's engineering polymers line and is widely acclaimed as a lightweight but durable low wear, low friction plastic for electronic office equipment, advanced conveyor technology, and automotive applications.

I found some sights and their use of destructive testing on Delrin products. Again, interesting. I doubt we will ever break a Delrin tri-glide as used in our application. As for regular plastic tri-glides, ??? OMS uses the trademarked Delrin name in it's product catalog, so I'll believe that they use Delrin nylon. I took a SS 3-bar that I had laying around and bent it over the edge of a table in my kitchen. I couldn't get the black Delrin to bend at all.

Maybe I'll keep the Delrin's after all. :)

Interesting. Try something for us, would you? Freeze both a delrin tri-glide and a SS tri-glide. Stick in vise. Hit with hammer.

I'd be curious to see if the delrin shatters and the SS just bends. Just curious is all.

I'd be willing to bet the plastic ones (not necessarily Delrin, just plastic) will shatter into many pieces. My comment above was in reference to plastic... I don't really know how Delrin would hold up in that kind of environment.

mempilot:
But can I get SS ones in Pink? Or British Racing Green?

You can paint anything. Maybe there will be a niche market for custom-designed backplates. (Like skateboards). I wouldn't mind a flashy graphic on my backplate - much needed conspicuous consumption for divers.

:jaws2:

Back
Top Bottom