DEMA 2023 Presentation : The Darkest Hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett,

I'm neither a wreck nor cave diver, but given the risk in silting things up, this sounds like a really bad idea to me. Am I wrong/overly paranoid? Or are you just being nice in your response?

Yes, I agree, I personally don't think this would have been a good dive plan and not only because of the silt. It was an extremely complex penetration and the idea of trying to "meet in the middle" when 3 out of the 4 divers had never done it in either direction doesn't seem like it would work or be a viable option.

- brett

Brett, thank you for sharing this. The self assessment of the dive is helpful. Glad you all made it.

I wouldn’t waste time with someone who seems not to have read your report.

Thanks for the feedback.

We'll see where it goes. If it devolves, I will quickly disengage. For now, I'll take the optimistic approach and assume it was not troll bait (and, yes, it seems like they had not read the full report).

- brett

• Were you the weakest link in the team chain?
  • Where were you positioned in the team chain?
  • Was visibility poor outside as opposed to inside the wreck?
  • How many wreck dives prior to this dive (you)?
  • Was the team leader a local?
  • Why didn’t you each tie off and find the exit?
  • Why didn’t the team leader tie off to begin the dive?
  • Why didn’t the team leader abort the dive when visibility was poor?
  • Did you realize large camera equipment increases task loading?
  • Did the pre dive brief explain how to abort a dive?
  • Was every compartment in the ship silted up?
  • When did you realize a four man team was detrimental?
  • Were you or your team the cause of the silt out?
  • Did anyone think to enter from opposite ends, meet up, swap reels and exit?
this could have been a productive post had it been worded better and not been a shotgun list of what appears to be an inquisition

this could have been a productive post had it been worded better and not been a shotgun list of what appears to be an inquisition

Hi, I was wondering if knowing you were all on rebreathers lead to taking on more risk than if you would have been on open circuit?

Also, how is everybody after this experience? Everybody still wreck diving?

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if knowing you were all on rebreathers lead to taking on more risk than if you would have been on open circuit?

Thanks
it doesn't work quite like that really as you still plan the dive as if you have to get back from wherever you go on OC in case of ccr bail out

I can tell you that the people involved were very emotional afterwards but are all still actively diving albeit wiser

Thanks
I will second that one on saying no. A rebreather can bit in so many ways you still stay on top of your game and make plans. Any sloppyness, complacency, would be just as present on OC as well.

it doesn't work quite like that really as you still plan the dive as if you have to get back from wherever you go on OC in case of ccr bail out

I can tell you that the people involved were very emotional afterwards but are all still actively diving albeit wiser

I will second that one on saying no. A rebreather can bit in so many ways you still stay on top of your game and make plans. Any sloppyness, complacency, would be just as present on OC as well.

Understood. I was just curious if the CC can give one an increased sense of security and then take on increased risk.

Back
Top Bottom