Den Laman shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard there is a shipwreck south of Den Laman, on my first trip there I never saw it (never though to look as I didn't know it was there until afterwards). I cannot seem to find where it specifically is at. We did a handful of dives in that direction when I was there last year. How far south is it (and if I remember right it is within rec depths)?

I have heard there is a shipwreck south of Den Laman, on my first trip there I never saw it (never though to look as I didn't know it was there until afterwards). I cannot seem to find where it specifically is at. We did a handful of dives in that direction when I was there last year. How far south is it (and if I remember right it is within rec depths)?

There is an old tugboat wreck between Den Laman and Eden Beach. There is a chain that runs out to it and it is in about 80-90'. It's not a very big boat and isn't marked on shore.

Here is a link that talks a little about it:

Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Front Porch of Bonaire North, ABC Islands

There are actually 2, one of which I have not seen either....sounds like a mission for June:) Both are in frount of Eden Beach which is the next resort twards town. A lot of the time the current is running in the wrong direction to make the dive from DL and it is really past the max distance you can make on a 2 way dive. Plus they are both on the deep side, 90ish so not really the best dive profile either. We need to plan a 1 way drift dive, starting at Eden Beach and ending at DL, that is doable if you don't spend too much time deep.

There is a small wreck south of DL. It is right at the old resort location - I think it was called Sunset Beach. It is a very easy dive. To access it drive into Eden Beach resort and you will see a gravel road turn off to the right just before the gate into Eden Beach. Follow that road and it takes you to a very wide large gravel area that runs north to DL. Stay close to Eden Beach and do not drive all the way to DL. Park your truck and walk towards the ocean and you will find a well worn path to the beach. Careful as there seems to be a lot of garbage in the area including broken bottles.

The wreck is directly off the beach and there are lines running down to it as Herman mentioned. I have done this dive several times and have always been surprised with something different - turles, huge porcupine fish. triggerfish, etc. It is a very easy entry and the reef drops qucikly to the bottom at around 100'. There is not much of a reef to look at, in fact there is more garbage than coral, but there any tons of interesting things to see.

The current can be tricky so check out the boats and buoys before you go in.

This is a very easy shore dive.Enter by the circle at Den Laman and follow the dirt road of the old hotel to the water. Make a left at the beach and park where the piling sticks out of the water.(going toward Eden Beach) Wreck is 90 feet below.I have done this dive 20 times and slowly work your way up looking thru all wreckage of the old pier.You find some amazing creatures. Front Porch(Sunset Beach Hotel) and Something Special make a Great Pair of easy shore dives very close together.

Hi:

If you like small wreck dives, off Eden Beach angling a tad northward is the wreck of the Bakanal.

To the south from Eden Beach, and a bit of a swim (it's actually in front of another resort, I think; I was staying at Eden Beach resort so a buddy & I swam south from Eden Beach) is the wreck of the Our Confidence.

Both are in recreational diving depth limits. And yes, there's intermittently current between Bonaire & Klein Bonaire concentrated in the strip in front of Eden Beach Resort. We were told to look at the boats moored off Eden Beach. If they rested perpendicular to shore, minimal current. If they were parallel to shore, that meant a current was turning them around.

Richard.

To the south from Eden Beach, and a bit of a swim (it's actually in front of another resort, I think; I was staying at Eden Beach resort so a buddy & I swam south from Eden Beach) is the wreck of the Our Confidence.

The wreck "Our Confidence" began to deteriorate a few years ago and the wheel house has now fallen. It is in front of Harbor Village and is accessed from either Eden Beach or the dive site "Something Special" but not sure it is worth the dive it was when still intact.

The "Our Confidence" wreck isnt much to look at - however at about 50-60 feet there's alot of rubble loaded with yellow headed jawfish. Found one there with eggs. Pointed him out to my 2 camera toting buddies and the bugger wouldnt come back out. If you're into stuff like that, check it out!

The "Our Confidence" wreck isnt much to look at - however at about 50-60 feet there's alot of rubble loaded with yellow headed jawfish. Found one there with eggs. Pointed him out to my 2 camera toting buddies and the bugger wouldnt come back out. If you're into stuff like that, check it out!

The tug between Den Laman and Eden is a favorite of ours because of the numbers yellow headed jawfish. We follow the line down and then hang around the sand/rubble at about 90 feet, just below the wreck. The rubble all around that area is fabulous for little critters and there are always lots of juveniles at the round mooring block in about 30 -40 feet of water. No need to go all the way over to "Our Confidence" to look for the little stuff.

There are actually 3 wrecks in this area that you can dive, the tugboat (north of Eden Beach and South of Den Laman), a sailboat (in front of Eden Beach), and the wooden "Our Confidence" schooner (south of Eden beach). You can access all three from diving from Eden Beach resort. You can also dive across the channel (please stay close to the bottom to avoid boats) by following the rope/line and you'll arrive at Something Special. If you're interested in seeing some photos, I was there in Feb and you can view my photos of the wrecks at http://jasonspitz.shutterfly.com/bonaire . Enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom