• Head first

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Depends on mood/situation

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • Other (sideways?)

Votes: 43 25.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey once bubbled...

Even in water, a head down position causes a higher blood pressure in your head than the head up/feet down position.

The added pressure engorges the tissues around the eustachian tube, making it harder to equalize.

Roak

Thanks for that tidbit-I've read a little about dive physiology and that's the first time I've heard that explanation-and it makes perfect sense.

Lawman once bubbled...
13.5 feet then I assume the Simco-Panizzi position
for the next 8 feet. Then with my partner we switch
to a plano-convex (nearly a convexo-concave!) descent
formation until reaching the Tlingit Layer. We then break
apart and do a free floating Flaxman Sink until a flare
4 feet above the bottom.

Charlie99: Any experienced diver would know that you should start the Flaxman Sink 6 feet above the Tlingit Layer!

Charlie,

I am surprised at you! Why would you even bother criticizing someone who obviously doesn't even know where to break from the Simco-Panizzi?:eek: Or even worse, would go against directives and MODIFY a plano-convex to almost a convexo-concave?:wacko: You waste your valuable dive time! :wink:

...now that I wear one of those really 'techy' backplate rigs, I usually cannon-ball off the top deck of the boat, and keep that super-hydrodynamic cannon ball shape until the bottom is in view, when I flair out and begin pumping air into my x-wing until I settle gently to the bottom in my impression of a manta ray, and let the sand and mud settle upon me. Really causes the next guy down the line to flinch when I reach up from the mud and grab his fin as he swims by....:) :) :)

Feet first until i can see the bottom then moving to horizontal.

The reasoning for that is simple, if you're heading towards sharp metal of a wreck or rocks etc id rather hit it with my fin in the event of 0 vis than puncture my stomach on a piece of metal.

Visibility here ranges from absolutely 0 to about 5m on average and if you're the first buddy pair down you have no real idea what it is so pays to be safe rather than sorry. Its not unheard of to first realise you're on the bottom when you can feel it.

Example situation could be a wreck dive, 25m to the sea bed but echo sounder indicated narrow spikes up to say 18m.
Those spikes could be sharp metal. Vis could be zero. You dont want to land on one of those with your stomach/head or worse.

A slight exception to this maybe when going down a shotline to a wreck in which case its whatever angle the shot line is either parallel to it (no current) or just a thumb and finger looped out it for a guide.

I descend downwards when possible.

Re: frankenmuth_tom

"...now that I wear one of those really 'techy' backplate rigs, I usually cannon-ball off the top deck of the boat, and keep that super-hydrodynamic cannon ball shape until the bottom is in view, when I flair out and begin pumping air into my x-wing until I settle gently to the bottom in my impression of a manta ray, and let the sand and mud settle upon me. Really causes the next guy down the line to flinch when I reach up from the mud and grab his fin as he swims by.... "

....LOL.... classic !!

jiveturkey:
Feet first for the first few meters to get started and then horizontal to give myself more control.

Picture diver verticle on beginning of descent, he/she can see forward, and down to their feet, but cannot see behind without all kinds of awkward movement.Now unless your going deep and bt is concerne, ok rotate and do your bonzi dive. If not, as head submerges underwater rotate body forward 45 degrees. Now you can look forward, down and down behind you for visual ref. in water column.Now center of gravity has shifted through tank and center of body giving better control of descent. Finally bring legs up behind you , bent at knees. In this manner you have better aspect ratio control of descent, you have increased visual aspect with limited movement. \, you drop more smoothly through water column under control, and if you had to stop on a dime all you have to do is snap your legs out and you come to a dead stop and in a perfectly planed position in the water column for horizontal movement. You now present a more hydrodynamic form and a reduced resistance to flow. Also, it looks good too!! Thank You ....Capt. Tom

I stay feet first just until I vent gas from my drysuit, which is until my arms over my head go under the surface. From there, I am pretty much horizontal or somewhat head down.

Last. When diving off a dive boat in a group. I decend horizontally and hate having the feet first guys standing on me.

I love it when someone digs up posts from a few years ago, brings up a topic I haven't seen before, and probably wouldn't (unless I knew what I was looking for and searched for it) :D

Back
Top Bottom