Designing a fail-proof technical snorkel keeper...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a great use for a snorkle. If you cut a hole in the backside of your wet suit and insert the snorkle in your A** it makes a great Addition to the halcyon P-valve! And as a bonus it's right wear you can reach it if needed, providing of course you rinse the mouth piece.

Excellent idea by Get Wrecked. Where do you secure your pony bottle?

I am shocked and chagrined at the utter void of attention paid to the snorkel keeper and its relation to nitrox depth limits.

Think increased drag doesn't affect your absorption of nitrogen, eh?

Think a fouled keeper at 130' won't contribute to O2 tox, eh?

THINK AGAIN!!!!

I have found thru extensive research that snorkel keepers make an excellent substitute to a powerhead for self defense.
I have found that if you get the highly elastic keepers you can flick or shoot them at the shark like a rubberband. Nothing, I mean absolutely NOTHING will spook a shark like a snorkel keeper upside the gills!!

Save the .223 ammo for the manatee steaks, buy a handful of keepers for those shark dives!!=-)

Hmmmm.... you might be on to something Rich. Like the plastic six-pack holders that snagged storks and pelicans, a snorkel keeper can be a diver's last defense mechanism against predators like sharks, or even aggressive turtles. I'll have to study that one a little closer.

As far as the other replies, I sense a bit of sarcasm going on here. One guy even replied that he keeps his snorkel up his anus. I find this the least bit funny. I spent 3 weeks of my life researching older designs, from Navy emergency duct tape designs to techie neon green 80's dive stuff to the black silicone of today. I have submitted a patent on my new design and I won't be patronized by you all. Hell you guys are so behind the times you don't even know what Im talking about. Most of you still wear neon colors and believe that buddy diving crap I bet.

But, being a genius and expert techie diver that I am, listening to the snorkel up the anus reply gave me a new use for my snorkel keeper--- the techie diver's extra-leg constrictor ring. A necessity for plunging into caves that can get kinda hairy at times.

i suggest that some of the members of this board try doing this with their snorkel. it may releave most of the stress that is caused by your snorkel. what u need is first your trusty snorkel. next you need some aluminium foil, along with a good screen, something that pokes good holes, a good lighter, and some fat bud. i know im leaving out some items, but for the full report, with a well drawn out scientific graphical representation of what your snorkel should look like for one to achieve the upmost potential out of your snorkel....

click here

now just sit back and enjoy your new creation.

The obvious lack of knowledge on this topic is distressing!

Snorkels have a very important usage in ice dives. I am dissappointed that the respondents have not been aware of this!!

I am convinced of this seeing so many photos of ice divers with snorkels still strapped on. I can speculate that when they see an ice fishing lure and line, they can sneek up to the ice fishing hole, insert the snorkel into up into the hole and point towards the unsuspecting ice fisherman. Take a good hard breath, spit out their 2nd stage and blast the unsupecting ice fisherman right between the eyes. Water cannons taken to a new chilling level.

Caution: Do NOT attempt this under an ice fishing shanty where there are spear fisherman waiting for northern pike, muskies, or sturgen!

Doesn't this discussion belong in the "DIR" forum rather than the "DIY" forum??????
Rick

Back
Top Bottom