Destin Jetties 4/25 4/26 4/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Often, they do not dredge on the weekends because of the heavy boat and people traffic. Sunday, they were not running the dredgers and from the surface, viz looked like it would be pretty decent. If they are actively dredging, and the tide is still pushing in from the Gulf, as long as they are not dredging south of the jetties you might still be okay.

But, the biggest problem is getting to the jetties right now. The sand is stacked pretty high. But, they did have a bull dozer out there Sunday, so I guess they will eventually get in leveled off.

Do you mean while they are actually running the machinery or while they are in the project? And how much more will it suck? Are we talking about knocking off viz from 30 to 20 feet or taking it down to 0 to 5? Reason I'm asking is I may be headed that way this weekend since our Clipper trip got blown out. I'm thinking about diving the Oriskany Friday and getting in beach dives Sat/Sun at Destin, Navarre, and Pcola.

I thought they were dumping the sand on the point? You mean they are stacking it up on the beach directy by the east jetties, making the march of death even more difficult?

That is correct....they dredged the point and then also did some more dredging in the channel...that sand is all piled up on the beach from where you enter at the public walk through, all the way to the jetties. It may have been flattened by now, but as of Sunday, it would be one heck of a hike to get to the jetties.

I thought they were dumping the sand on the point? You mean they are stacking it up on the beach directy by the east jetties, making the march of death even more difficult?

I got up close and personal today. They have a mountain (not exaggerating!) of sand all along the walk to the jetty. You can not go straight to the water but must walk to the east of the mound of sand all the way to the jetty. This walk goes through the dunes and near the umbrella storage boxes and comes out right at the finger jetty. That is not the only problem - the dredge is right over our dive site with the pipes running to the north side of the finger jetty (no room for diving here). They were continuing to suck sand and dump it about half way between the entrance and the jetty. This is disgusting!

Stay tuned for updates and probable dive plan changes due to these sand jockeys :lotsalove:.

You might want to consider Navarre Beach Pier or St. Andrews Jetties(if they've finished dredging - LOL).

I'll be working in Navarre today, I'll see if I can scope out conditions there. Surf has atleast been running low to flat all week.

I'm leaving tonight. Diving Oriskany on Friday and who knows on Sat/Sun. Ironically, we are staying at a condo in Navarre so that will hopefully be divable. Mat, have you ever night dived there?

I guess it's Navarre or Pcola, probably don't want to drive to PC jetties or Vortex this trip. I would have like to do Destin Sat afternoon but that is out. Ah well, maybe they will uncover new treasures for us.

I got up close and personal today. They have a mountain (not exaggerating!) of sand all along the walk to the jetty. .

Thanks for confirming that Yoda. From the boat last weekend it looked HUGE, but it was hard to tell just how high it was from the middle of the channel where we were. Oh well, hopefully this will not be an extended project....and, who knows, maybe we will get to see the second anchor again??

Sounds like it'd be a good time to get the ol' zodiac out and ferry people and gear across for a private dive :)

Navarre Beach Pier looked good today, see attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4321.JPG
    IMG_4321.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 29
I went by to check progress today and was pleasantly surprised. They had removed the dredge and smoothed the mountain of sand so that you can get to the finger jetty better. They were removing the pipes in the dive area as I took pictures. Here is a pano from on top of sand mountain. I'm working on more pics for later. Gulf-Gulper and I are still planning to dive tomorrow.

pano1.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom