Destin Jetties dive report 10/23/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, on that, diving the jetties is fun and there is alot to be said for not having to spend that extra cash on diving. I have sunk a fortune into boat dives, both drift and liveaboards, as well as going to resorts in Cozumel, Roatan, and Playa del Carmen. It is just plain nice to be able to pick up my gear and get in the car, drive to that site and dive.

Diving is always a bit of an unknown until you get there you don't know what you are going to find. I have been on many boat dives and conditions on them have been variable from calm as glass to seas of 6-8 ft. If there is anything I have learned in the 3 years I have been diving is to expect the unexpected.

That being said I must apologize for not downloading my pictures as of yet. It seems that I have caught some kind of virus and I have been really under the weather since Monday night. My Doctor, who is also a diver, is concerned that I may have picked up some contamination from the water in Destin. I am almost convinced that she is correct. All I know is I can't hold much down, and if it is not running me to the bathroom, I need a good rail to hang over for the other end. Oh, yeah I am not on a boat guess I still have to run to the bathroom.

Luckily, this evening I am starting to feel somewhat better. I took some meclizine before my doctor called me back, I just couldn't wait any longer. It has kicked in and I am able to sip on some herbal tea. She assurred me that the meclizine would do the trick. She also put me on an antibiotic for a UTI, which she said my lab test yesterday showed, so I thought maybe that was making me sicker. Not the case evidently, it is just whatever bug I have getting all riled up from the medication fighting it off.

I certainly hope it is better tommorrow so I can go to work, can't afford too many more days off. I will try to get to the camera later on, will be more than likely this weekend though.

Aquadoc68:
Dudes do you not have access to a boat??? Just curious. The WAY better dive is the rubble like 3 km out I would have to fire up my gps I still have it plotted. Any of the LDS will have grids to them. Talk to Chuck in Niceville. Chucks Dive World. Or is the DS right at the end of the bridge still there. Any way MAD Amber Jack YUM some Snapper and usually a lot of fish, rays, sharks, ect all over it. It is not as good as Key West Reef but none the less. Not to mention gear that the cherries drop when they panic. the average recovery after two team dives would be like 1 spear, 2 masks 2 weight belts Usaually with like 30# of weight hehe, we have even found three large boat ancors. The Miss Jenny or miss Louise (can't remember) is a barge more toward Sandestin but there was like a 300# Jewfish living on her but that was 3 years ago. It gave me a bit of a startle as I was following a 20 or so #er it went under the barge I went over and was gonna come down on top to get a shot and I met a mouth about the size of a VWBug hood. I was upside down and backwards my buddy thought it quite humerous.
I've been to the rubble, it was the best boat dive I've had. The conditions in the gulf have never been better than I get at the jetties. The Miss Louise was the clearest viz I had on a boat dive and it was about 30' (the jewfish was gone before I dove there). I've seen different things at the jetties than the boat dives and enjoy the thrill of being surprised at what swims by. I will be doing some more boat dives in the future but right now the viz has not been reported to be very good in the gulf. I'm more of a picture taker than hunter at the moment - I have thought of taking a picture of some flounder or triggerfish and then inviting them to dinner :D.

seaangel:
...That being said I must apologize for not downloading my pictures as of yet. It seems that I have caught some kind of virus and I have been really under the weather since Monday night. ...
I can wait for the pics, just get better soon. I think it was the nasty Atlanta air that got you :D.

Possibly. Hadn't considered the air quality. Feeling well enough this morning to go on to work. It seems to be better every hour now. Had to of been a 24hr bug. I am one step closer with my pictures, I took out my camera and have it ready to connect for downloading. Will do that this evening. I hope.

Some of the 10-20 mile sites off Orange Beach/Gulf Shores will give you 50-100' vis pretty commonly. Its still just a matter of the ease of doing a beach dive and the ease on your wallet :)

The high tides aren't cooperating for the rest of the year, so it'll be spring dives and boat dives from here on out except for the very very few inshore wrecks that I know(Whiskey and a few in P'Cola, which aren't reachable yet, that I haven't explored).

I have dived those jetties many times. I always enjoyed them but it is not very high on my list. I also have enjoyed the Spring country as well. I hate to say it but some of the best diving I have ever done has been out of Destin on the scattered rocks and reefs and whatever--boat dives. The diving is fantastic. Increadible schools of fish and great visibiltiy often over 100 feet or close--just fantastic. I used to launch my 14 foot inflatable with 35 horse Merc off the beach and run way out and dive. You can also buy a Ocean Kayak Drifter, Scupper Pro TW or similar and reach some of the closer in and rarely dived rocks and rubbles piles. Nowadays with GPS and depth finders you can find all sorts of little rocks here and there to dive--and--yes--mount them on your kayak. Actually, even for diving the jetties a kayak increases your range and safety.The OK kayaks will run about 600 dollars and then outfit it with various ropes, flags, equipment and a paddle leash etc but still a cheap and fairly maintenance free dive vessel. You will be amazed how fast they are. Dudes, I have gone 5 miles out to sea or further and dived off my kayak. They are fun to paddle around in the spring areas also after your dive for something else to do.
Hey, Itchetucknee (sp) --The Blue Hole----what does it take to dive that. In the mid 70s when I was in college we went to the spring country lot's of times and I loved diving the Blue Hole. Every time I have been back in years since it has been closed. It is in a state park. Man, I love that spring--it would make a great video dive.
As a side note, I just bought a Boston Whaler boat that I am rigging for diving and fishing. I am going to take my dad out of Destin and of course--while there---drop over the side in my Nemrod gear.
Also, I think there is a couple of rocks off the beach in Destin? that can be reached by a shore dive. Of course, years back, I was not afraid to swim a mile or so off shore. Now, well, I need a kayak. Really--look into the kayaks--they are a blast and cheap. N

Itchetucknee Blue Hole requires at least cavern training certification and a buddy.

Well, thanks for the info, like I said, buddy or cert or not the last times I have been there, about a half dozen or so over the last 10 years, it has been closed to ALL diving. So, that is what I was asking about, is it open, closed, sometimes open etc? When would be the best time to gop there and expect it to be open to diving. O, I started cave diving in 1974 with homemade equipement when I was at Valdosta State College. It was a short drive down to many interesting and famous caves. springs etc.Just of those my dives into the Blue Hole have been one of my favorites ==why--I don't know--it was fun I guess.
Oh, the jetties are kinda fun, seen some pretty neat stuff along them. Hey, thanks for the info. N

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom