determined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to start out in Hawaii and achieve divemaster to gain employment. Then work towards instructor. I am in Montana which doesn't lend itself to gaining a lot of training or experience. My open water is with naui.I'm definitely interested in wreck diving, and photography. Will probably expand my interests as I gain more experience.
Honolulu is the 5th most expensive place to live in the US. Got a plan for living there until you become an experienced DM? I have to wonder if they make any money really? If you happen to look great in a swimsuit, enough for modeling, seriously - that can help in a tourist industry, but they already have a lot of those actually.

I am like you. I took my OW and felt, in time, I want to go the Pro level (my goal is to be a DM at the most later). And since I am going to be more of a grunt as far as interaction with customers, going to stay a customer for a bit and dive as many ops as I can see. Look and learn and try and figure out what kind of DM I want to be. Look and find things I like and dislike about some DMs. This advice can also be applied if you do want to be an Instructor. Learn what works/you like and dislike.

During my nearly 5 years as a working Oahu dive instructor, to me it felt like there was less than 1 DM working per dive shop, and most of the DM's working were somehow related to or in a relationship with someone else at the shop.

An instructor has a fair chance of finding dive work on Oahu; unknown, unrelated, male Montana DM's not so much. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom