Deviated Septum Fix it or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a note on the above post. Sometimes, this procedure can be done with locals, and no need to be put under. It depends on the severity of the procedure.

I spend my days watching surgeons; I'm an anaesthesiologist (well I'm an anaesthetist where I live; we don't have non medically qualified anaesthesia providers here).

There's an old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Furthermore there's another pertinent one in medicine: "The incidence of complications of a procedure is inversely proportional to its indication".

I would avoid a surgeon who offers to fix things that aren't causing problems, and I would be questioning his motivation in doing so too.

Been there, done that, twice.
First time in 1984. Operation was not bad, had a local anestic. Nighmares of the sound of the hammer and chisel as my septum was chiseled off and then moved. The removal of the yards of gause was, very, very painful.

2004, surgery was a breeze. I insisted on a general anistetic. Splints for 3 days, no problems.

Note, while the splints and packing is in, your head explodes everytime you swallow.

Did it help. Yes. But then I use to have cronic sinus infection too.

Back
Top Bottom