Devil Boas of Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Len

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read about this subject before but just today saw the National Geographics Snake Wranglers show. Very interesting.
Episode description "The idyllic Mexican island of Cozumel is facing disaster after the mysterious introduction of boa constrictors. Where did they come from? Jesus Rivas investigates:"

The boas are destroying the fauna of Cozumel and there is no easy solution. They were introduced by a movie company in the early 70s. Jesus, who is completely fearless, was picking up snakes off the east side road at night. At one point, walking in the jungle, he stopped and noted that there was no noise...just quiet...very quiet...not normal in a jungle. He had no trouble finding quite a few boas.

Len:
I've read about this subject before but just today saw the National Geographics Snake Wranglers show. Very interesting.
Episode description "The idyllic Mexican island of Cozumel is facing disaster after the mysterious introduction of boa constrictors. Where did they come from? Jesus Rivas investigates:"

The boas are destroying the fauna of Cozumel and there is no easy solution. They were introduced by a movie company in the early 70s. Jesus, who is completely fearless, was picking up snakes off the east side road at night. At one point, walking in the jungle, he stopped and noted that there was no noise...just quiet...very quiet...not normal in a jungle. He had no trouble finding quite a few boas.
Please do NOT tell this to my wife! :11:

Len:

I missed it again!?!? :censored:!!!!!

Yup, and I wonder how long it's going to be, before the boas, having constricted their way through all the wild fauna ( which from the deafening silence on that film, they have done already) and work their way into the resorts and the town looking for din din.? Think I'm going to pass on the quaint thatched roofs in the resorts and opt for the more secure " moldy plaster/stuco" ones instead.
All joking aside though, it really is a ecological disaster. I find it odd how the government is willing to protect the reefs, but didn't see fit to try and exterminate the boa, which is not indiginous,at the first sign of a problem? I would imagine that all the top preditors on the island will not fair well, including the local crocs. It's a sad thing for my favourite dive destination.

Back
Top Bottom