Diamox for ear barotrauma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd agree that Diamox was probably to try to help congestion of inner ear--I suspect there's more voodoo than science in trying to deal with that. Although some risk of cross-reactivity to sulfas in those allergic to sulfas, side effects, despite warnings, aren't common. This is the first line drug to prevent altitude sickness (causes relative metabolic acidosis, which increases respiratory drive, which increases pO2).
Main complaint from climbers is that carbonated beverages taste weird--I've haven't reseached why, but perhaps we have carbonic anhydrase activity on our tongues/taste buds that catalyse reaction changing CO2 to carbonic acid, which affects our taste????
Anyway, if the ENT later recommends trying it (they've used stronger diuretics to treat Meniere's syndrome and endolymph-edema), I wouldn't be too frightened.
As other docs say, this is educational only and not meant as specific medical advice.

Back
Top Bottom