Did I get hosed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I are from Western NY and were just in Canada (TO area) and ended up shopping for scuba gear while we were up there (instead of doing outdoor stuff, due to the really bad rain). We were shocked at how expensive items were in the Toronto-area LDSes. The exchange rate is about 15%, so there's not too much difference anymore between the US and Canadian prices. You'd be better off coming over the border - also get to skip the GST and PST...

For the location you're in, just consider the higher retail prices another "tax" for having air fills available to you locally.:shakehead

MSRP is just that: Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price.
The individual shops can sell it for as much or as little as they want.
Ummm... unless you're buying gear from such mfgrs as ScubaPro, US Divers, DUI, and a host of others that have fixed minimum prices* that the dealer can lose their dealership for violating.

*(sometimes called price fixing in the EU)

With the exchange rate it works out as follows.

Sherwood Avid BC $682.291 US

Sherwood Blizzard reg 513.934 US

Aluminum 80 was $199.371 US

7mm Bare wetsuit was $ 264.942 US

The Universal Currency Converter
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

I don't know why you needed a 500 dollar reg as a new diver, not including octo or SPG. Nor do I know why you needed a brand new aluminum tank when renting is easier and cheaper, and buying used is cheaper. For a 700 dollar BC I hope it has built in propellers.

I feel you got hosed. After experiencing much the same as you my suggestion is to call around and compare prices and products. Chances are you'll find better deals are to be found.

Umm just to let you know you paid $100 US over the MSRP for the reg and $322 over MSRP for the BC. Call it hosed, raped, murdered... whatever you got it.

Is anybody in the import/export business here? Any idea what Canada charges to import goods from wholesalers in the States? I don't know, just asking, because the duty would have to be added to the dealer's price. A couple of points, I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago and saw Zeagle Ranger BCs for $995 and AL80s for $239. I also understand that the dealer price on Al80s went up nearly $25, so if someone is still getting AL80s for $110-$130, either that is a major volume discount or the shop is paying customers to take the cylinders.

I paid $295.00 USD for my Avid BC in June, 2005. It was a 2005 model with the new quick release weight system. The $770.00 that you paid was too much.

YES, you were hosed.

Gary D.:
:lol: They were joking, right? :lol:

If they weren't move on to another shop.

Gary D.

I think they are for those weird divers who like to live to dive again....how wacky is that? Man, I remember when we used to bring down a bike tire and breathe off of that in a cave for a while. Who needs gauges??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom