Did my first dive from a boat offshore.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarheel brand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ran out of Morehead City, NC this past Saturday 12 miles offshore to the USS Indra. Could not have picked a better day if I tried. Was a great dive, I did two tanks. Everything went great. I'm so addicted I can't stand it. I want to thank all those that gave me great advice regarding the gear I was buying. It all worked great. I plan to buy 2 steel 100's made by Worthington, and a 7m wetsuit for diving late in the yr. I did manage to get nitrox certified, but did the two dives on air. The shop owed me a free dive, so I was happy to use there air. Thanks so much again to all that have given advice. I hope to soon post up new dives that I'm doing. Hopefully she won't, but until the wife says thats enough chill out some, I'm gonna go every chance I get.

Sounds like you had a great day. What are the water temps for the 7mm? Sometimes I think it's wiser just to put it the money and buy a drysuit. Or you could've like me and have a 1mm, 2/3 mm, 5 mm, 7mm and a dry suit . I thinks we could start a dive shop from our basement since my hubby has similar number :)

I'm going to be doing my first boat dive in a little under two weeks. Was there anything you learned that you didn't expect? Any tips?

Congrats on your first ocean dive, and I'm glad everything worked out perfectly. Welcome to the addiction.

Nice!!!!! Consider a drysuit. You'll be happier and warmer. Also checkout a 119 or 130. The price isn't going to be that much of a difference.

Sounds like you had a great day. What are the water temps for the 7mm? Sometimes I think it's wiser just to put it the money and buy a drysuit. Or you could've like me and have a 1mm, 2/3 mm, 5 mm, 7mm and a dry suit . I thinks we could start a dive shop from our basement since my hubby has similar number :)

I'm not sure of the water temps off the NC coast late in the yr. Been Bluefin fishing a couple times, and my job was to watch the temp breaks, but for the life of me, I can't remember. Its cols though. Was told by another diver he goes up to a thick suit in the winter. I can def see your point on the drysuit. Thats funny about starting a dive shop. Thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I'm going to be doing my first boat dive in a little under two weeks. Was there anything you learned that you didn't expect? Any tips?

No not really anything I didn't expect. We did four dives at a rock jetty during certification. 31ft bottom. Vis was terrible. When I jumped in the water offshore the other day, everything was clear/blue. 66ft bottom. Very beautiful. 10 times better than the jetty. I'm hooked, and I'd say if your first boat dive goes off great, watch out, your next. Oh yeh, wear gloves. I cut my finger pretty bad on the wreck. No stitches needed. When I surfaced and switched tanks, the captain loaned me a pair for my second dive. Now I own a pair.

---------- Post Merged at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Congrats on your first ocean dive, and I'm glad everything worked out perfectly. Welcome to the addiction.

Thanks man, I hope to do the same dive this coming Sat. Nitrox this time.

---------- Post Merged at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Nice!!!!! Consider a drysuit. You'll be happier and warmer. Also checkout a 119 or 130. The price isn't going to be that much of a difference.

Thanks, I will consider the dry suit. As far as the 119, and 130 go, I have been advised on another board that very same thing. I will prob look very hard at the shrty 130.

Drysuit? Morehead City is almost South Carolina....

Hold onto your weight belt! I remember my very first dive after my open water course many years back. It was a boat dive in Guam and I launched off the back of the boat with a giant stride, my weight belt opened and slid off. I watched in what seemed like slow motion as it plummeted to the bottom where there were a dozen Asian tourists hanging out with their dive master. My aim was spot on, it landed right in the middle of the group. Apart from a red face for myself, no harm was done but I learnt to always hand onto my weight belt when I jump in!

And your point is? The water doesn't get as cold here as it does in Canada but it gets cold enough that you will definitely understand the meaning of shrinkage. :turtle:

delete

---------- Post Merged at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:42 PM ----------

I can't agree, or disagree with a dry suit. I simply don't know. I do know it gets plenty cold here in the winter, although last winter was pretty mild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom