DIN Adaptors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A fitting like you are asking about would almost certainly have to be specific to the regulator manufacturer the yokes came from. I have a bunch of Sherwood, Mares and Scubapro yokes, and I believe the threads do not match each other and the holes in the yokes are different diameters.

You likely do not have the yoke sealing surface either; unless the yokes you have are far different than the usual, the sealing surface itself is on the 1st stage. The usual arrangement is the sealing surface comes up through the yoke, and a hex nut tightens down to below the sealing surface to secure the yoke to the 1st stage. That allows the yoke to swivel independent of the sealing surface.

If such a part exists (I'm not arguing that it doesn't; I have just never seen or heard of one) your best bet is to contact the regulator manufacturer. Global sells a female DIN fitting, but it adapts to 1/4"NPT. Also, I would think that such a part would create an adaptor so long that if you placed it on a cylinder the regulator would very likely hit the back of your head. The manufacturered adaptors, which are cast in a single piece, have a much smaller profile. The 2-piece units are most often used in filling applications to convert a DIN whip to yoke to fill a K-valve cylinder. Global also sells the 2-piece unit, but they do not sell just the female DIN to male thread portion by itself.

John

What you are talking about does exists. I have built several of these for myself. In fact I just ordered that part from atomic aquatics for a friend who is doing exactly what you are talking about. He swapped to DIN so he now has two parts, the yoke with screw and the yoke insert. What you want is the DIN to yoke fitting. This is the thingy that mates to the DIN threads but you screw a yoke nut on to retain the yoke.

What John writes above about the part being specific to the mfg is very correct. It might be hard to find the fitting unless the reg is made in the USA as the part would have to come from the other side of the pond.

Mixing and matching might also be problematic as some yoke nuts are 1" while others are 25mm which means that it may appear that a a 1" english yoke nut will go on a metric fitting but it will be severely lacking in tolerance and could easily be blown off.

PS John your comment about the Yoke sealing surface coming up through the yoke and the yoke nut attaching to it is true for many regs. My old Mares MR12 are like that. Some regs such as Atomics the sealing surface and yoke nut are all in one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom