Dinner options near Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeachlovers

Contributor
Reaction score
What are your favorite restaurants, food stands, ect., that are open past 6pm and within walking distance of CASA MEXICANA? Would really like to see some suggestions on some inexpensive local eateries within walking distance and open late too!

Last edited:
I'm not one of the real Coz experts on here, but I thought I had heard of most major hotels/resorts. Where is Casa Americana? I have heard of Casa Mexicana and I have heard of Fiesta Americana, but not Casa Americana.

lol I will have to edit that, I don't even know where that came from!!!..Casa Mexicana it is haha
:giggle:

lol I will have to edit that, I don't even know where that came from!!!..Casa Mexicana it is haha
:giggle:

Oh hell, then. Casa Mexicana is right there smack in town. You can walk to any of a dozen places often mentioned on this board, and taxis are easy to use if you prefer not to walk 10 blocks.

"Open late" gave us some trouble when we returned from a night dive and were so dead-tired at 9:30 pm that we just wanted to eat some decent but cheap Mexican food within stumbling distance of our beds. Let's see what the real Coz experts have to say.

Casa Mex is located right on the waterfront downtown, there are MANY options, Casa Denis, Woody's, La Terazza, Guido's, 'Ohana, Wet Wendy's, La Candela, The Pub, Thirsty Cougar, Pepe's, Rock'n Java, R'nJ Noodle bar & Tex-Mex, Especias, Kitna, Palmeros, Margaritaville, Rolandi's ... pretty much anything "downtown" (tourist downtown) is within walking distance

my favorite "open late" place is La Hatch, located just a little south of Blue Angel, a little over a mile south of town $5ish cab ride.

also, in that same area, Blu Bistro and Turquoise Bar, not sure when they close.

Well, I hate to give you one of those "it all depends" answers, but to some degree it depends on your definition of "walking distance." There are lots of options regardless of your definition, but more limited if you are really talking about stumbling distance. Casa Mexicana is right on Melgar, the main (very touristy) street along the waterfront. You are only about a block from Plaza Punta Langosta, the big mall at one of the cruise ship piers. Senor Frogs and other stuff catering to cruisers there. Generally, the businesses on Melgar cater to cruisers, but they are gone in the evening. Going north on Melgar will get you to Palmeras (at the ferry pier), Guido's, El Palomar, and El Coctelito. Getting a few blocks away from the waterfront will get you lots of options. La Choza and Casa Denis are near the Plaza and serve Yucatecan and other Mexican food. Los Otates serves tacos and pozole, is really good, and really cheap. Easy walk from Casa Mexicana. El Foco, a taco place, is also close, not as cheap, but frequented by locals. There are three Argentinian steakhouses near the Plaza. We like Del Sur, which also has great empañadas, although the service can be a little scattered. Al Pie del Carbon has one location north of the Plaza and one south of it. Not bad, but not our favorite. Cielito Lindo is across the street from Del Sur. I have seen some good reviews, but haven't tried it yet. El Pique is a really good, cheap taco place on 30th Avenue. That might be pushing walking distance, but it would be a cheap cab ride. I'm sure there will be lots of other suggestions. Take a look at a map and look up some of these places (TripAdvisor, Facebook, Google) and let us know what you think. I would say Los Otates is my top suggestion for you, based on your criteria. Casa Denis, La Choza, and El Foco should also work. El Pique would be great if it's not too far away for you. The other places are more expensive and less local, but give you some other options.

Most of the restaurants listed above are not what I would consider cheap local places which is what you asked for. If you head back down rosada salas -its a block towards the square from casa Mexicana VIVA mexico is on the corner. walk Back about 5-6 blocks-(we walked it all the time. That's how you find more places) is the public market there are some food booths inside there with cheap local food. Also around the corner from the market is las palmas its a favorite loncheria for me. You can get fajitas that come with soup (that's awesome) and chips and stuff for about $5. They deliver also. If your back in the hood look for red coca cola tables- they will be cheap taco places. 3 tacos and a coke $40 pesos. enjoy

Check out the Pub pay in pesos for the best price.

Check out the Pub pay in pesos for the best price.

If "local" means Mexican food, then that nixes the Pub.

diverokc, are those places you suggested open in the late evening?
I do know where CM is located and have been to Coz a few times, but did mostly AI before and have only eaten at La Choza, Las Otates, Tikin Xic snack bar and Burritos Gorditos. This time staying at the Casa so will need more options for dinners nearby. We do prefer to eat Mexican food while in Mexico :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom