Dipping my toes into the world of digital photography (C-5050z)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dipping my toes into the world of digital photography (C-5050z)....

Decided that my old Fuji Endeavor and UW Housing wasn't going to cut it for serious pics, so on Friday I took possession of an Olympus C-5050z, Ikelite 6130.51 housing, and an Inon UWL-100 wide angle lens, and an extra 128mb memory card... still coming to grips with the 2nd Mortgage required for this stuff :D

I was taking and erasing pictures all weekend in a quarry that had low (5-25ft) viz and heavy particulate (silt and plankton). I'm definitely impressed with the performance of this unit despite the handicap of being very green to UW photography. All settings were left on 'auto'.

When I was previewing the pics on the LCD screen, some of them looked spectacular, but after downloading them, they didn't look nearly as good. Are there standard edits that need to be made to the pics to replicate the LCD's view??

tx, Bob

Here's a few of the test pics

Is that gilboa?

Either way, those are still some pretty cool shots....

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Is that gilboa?

Either way, those are still some pretty cool shots....

Yep, Gilboa... allot of classes this weekend, so viz was a challenge... Saw my first two paddlefish, but they were too far away for a worthwhile shot... I'm on a mission now :D

wb416 once bubbled...

Yep, Gilboa... allot of classes this weekend, so viz was a challenge... Saw my first two paddlefish, but they were too far away for a worthwhile shot... I'm on a mission now :D

I am going to try to scan the pics we have of those things soon....they really are good shots... we spotted them out by the bus on the day before thanksgiving 2001....they are really cool...and this proves that they do exist.

Hello,

Mind if I made some adjustments to the fish on the wreck? I think there's some interesting things you could do with it.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...
Hello,

Mind if I made some adjustments to the fish on the wreck? I think there's some interesting things you could do with it.

Ed

Sure... I'm all ears... if the edited images on the site are too distorted to salvage, I can place the raw image up there.

tx, bob

Hello,

OK here goes. With some basic touchup in photoshop I was able to go from this

fishkisslg.jpg

to this

fishkisslg.jpg

Ed

Hey WaterBoy:

How're you doing... like the sound of the new camera unit... think I know what you're running into. Simple answer is you have to spend more money. I'd suggest looking at Adobe Photoshop. Sorry mate.

Next time you've got a minute, send me a raw image... whatever comes off the camera -- full res -- and let me fiddle with it... for example, the above and below shot on the steps over the shallow side.

Those are pretty good photos in the conditions. I too did some 'educational' tampering:

Here is your tree image:

33789%3C9523232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2329%3D4%3B%3A%3D537%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3A79%3B8778ot1lsi

Here it is after a one click adjustment (Photoshop auto-levels):

33789%3C9523232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2329%3D4%3B%3A%3D537%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3A79%3B89%3A6ot1lsi

There was no need to despeckle or anything - good photo.

Cheating (a little) is great isn't it?

I am pretty sure the much cheaper Photoshop Elements can do this just as well (Dee?)

Hello,

This is not 'cheating'. This is pulling out detail that's already in the image. If you added qualities to the image that would be cheating. Do you think ansel adams negatives looked exactly like the prints did?

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom