DIR 3000lm prototype LED light $375

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How'd you like it?

It's a good light- not as bright as the newer Brinyet - Model: DIV09, which has a price tag around $200.

I am going to run a duration test next weekend and see how they match up in burn times and will post an evaluation and comparison with pictures.

Dan

Guys thanks for reviews always appreciated.. few things about dive lights from personal experience..

1. There NO better primary light than Halcyon/Salvo/Light Monkey HIDs... not yet.

Now onto cheap China made lights that you using as comparison....
I like:
1. They are CHEAP..!!! that means i can mess with them for little money and if i fry few so what.
2. Have same Cree XML T6 LEDs and electronics as brand name models.
2. Did i mention they are cheap?

This is why i went of modifying them heavily... for local kids

0. They are cheap!
1. 50% of those lights leak.... you need to change cheap silicone orings to buna or they WILL flood. Some heads dont even capture oring you can see air gap... i end up re-testing every one of them 3 times during mods at $275 FSW half floods and end up in dumpster..

2. canister uses single stack 26650 LiIo cells. - this cells are rated ~4.2ah (anything more is a lie :)
- single Cree XML led runs at ~3v and ~ 2Ah i.e. running 3 LEDs on 3 cells is limited to 2Hr , not 4 just 2 in a best case of using good cells
- single cell stack of 3 is 3X more likely to fail
- screw on canister lids are prone to leaks vs pressure captured leads

Other items as switches, mounts etc are all matter of personal preference ..

So once you modify those shortcomings they are fine for the money.. dont forget the support, it is half the cost.

just got the Light, fast shipping, dove it yesterday...... and it was great... did a solid hour on the light and didn't notice any dimming... some of the other canister light divers were impressed and they would like one

<snip>
2. canister uses single stack 26650 LiIo cells. - this cells are rated ~4.2ah (anything more is a lie :)
- single Cree XML led runs at ~3v and ~ 2Ah i.e. running 3 LEDs on 3 cells is limited to 2Hr , not 4 just 2 in a best case of using good cells
- single cell stack of 3 is 3X more likely to fail
- screw on canister lids are prone to leaks vs pressure captured leads

Other items as switches, mounts etc are all matter of personal preference ..

So once you modify those shortcomings they are fine for the money.. dont forget the support, it is half the cost.
Definitely agree on the batteries front. It also is almost awkwardly long too, I imagine you'd have to mount it along a backplate so it wouldn't cut into your leg while diving. It would be fun to build a new canister for one of those, but at that point you might as well just build a new light. Thanks for your insight!

Back
Top Bottom