DIR and ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jet Fins > Ankle weights.

NWGratefulDiver:
... goes from twiggy to piggy just suiting up ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
...yes Bob, you better hide...
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
K

DIR orthodoxy aside, why would you want to make trim adjustments by increasing the load on your legs with ankle weights? Wouldn't your kick propulsion efficiency suffer as an adverse effect? Perhaps as a consequence, you'd be working harder finning against a current at depth or on the surface, possibly resulting in early leg fatigue & cramps?

First off, Thanks everybody for the comments. I have maybe 20 dives on my new harness and ss bp and wow... what can I say. I ditched the ankle weights, I unloaded another 10 pounds and I think I am still about 2 pounds too heavy. Amazing what a difference I feel in the water. I dive steel lp 95s and hp 100s and with my ss bp and 10 pounds I am just a little bit overweighted. I am trying to replace my 2 x 5lb weights with 4 lb versions. I feel sooooo much more maneuverable underwater and it is a lot more like diving in tropical waters. Not to mention bouyancy control at depth is so much easier. I will try to shave off a couple of extra pounds if I can and see what happens. Nearly everyone around here (vancouver Island) wears ankle weights but I feel much more trimmed out without them. This is without heavy fins and reasonably solid boots. Thanks a lot again for the advice. I can't believe it took me from 1984 until now to figure this out. I think I will go home and rip up my university diplomas as it would appear I am actually quite a slow learner............:)

Good to hear you're on the path...

(to the dark side!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom