DIR and traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDivingPreacher:
At 230 bar, a 15L tank is 120 cuft. With an average fill of 200-210, it gives around 110.

Well, that will buy you more time than an AL80. That's a steel tank, yes? You're diving dry I presume?

detroit diver:
Well, that will buy you more time than an AL80. That's a steel tank, yes? You're diving dry I presume?

Not yet! :( Although I am waiting to receive my new O.S. systems pro dry in the mail. :) . Well, new to me anyway. 6 month old suit

I am using a double 7mm Bare wet.
Yes, the tank is steel

TheDivingPreacher:
Not yet! :( Although I am waiting to receive my new O.S. systems pro dry in the mail. :) . Well, new to me anyway. 6 month old suit

I am using a double 7mm Bare wet.
Yes, the tank is steel

Until you get your new package in the mail, you're overweighted wearing a steel tank with a wetsuit. You're probably wearing a lot of weight to overcome the bouyancy of the wetsuit. If you were to have a complete wing failure at depth, you'd have a difficult time swimming up your rig (even after dropping weights).

Have them expedite your drysuit!! (you'll never dive wet again after you use it...!!)

detroit diver:
If you do the math for rock bottom at 100 ft (30??m), you will find that you really don't have enough gas in an AL 80 to do the dive. How does your tank compare to an AL80?

Just curious as to how you came up with this calculation. I dived only al 80s with 210 bar many times to 30-35 meters, did 3-5 minute deco dives ( Uwatec Aladin Pro computer) and had 70-90 bar left after the dives. ?? My wife would have 100 bar left. Hank

Hank49:
Just curious as to how you came up with this calculation.
GUE promotes a gas planning concept called "rock bottom" which has been covered before on this and other boards. This is what DD's calculations are based on.

Hank49:
Just curious as to how you came up with this calculation. I dived only al 80s with 210 bar many times to 30-35 meters, did 3-5 minute deco dives ( Uwatec Aladin Pro computer) and had 70-90 bar left after the dives. ?? My wife would have 100 bar left. Hank

The concept is something that is not taught in OW courses, for reasons beyond me. The idea is that you should never, EVER, have less air than is necessary to manage the problem at depth then get you AND YOUR BUDDY to the surface at a reasonable speed including safety stops.

The way to calculate it has been gone over many times in the forums, but the idea is to figure out the max depth for the dive, then using abnormally high air consumption rates to account for stress, calculate exactly how much air you will both use in a minute or so at the bottom then a safe ascent. Never have below that amount. Arbitrarily surfacing with a certain psi is meaningless, since you really don't know if it's enough to get you out of a sticky situation.

Do a search on "Rock Bottom" to find lots of discussion on the topic.

NWGratefulDiver:
Go to this thread ...
That's why you're a moderator. You have the patience to look things up for people. :wink:

detroit diver:
Until you get your new package in the mail, you're overweighted wearing a steel tank with a wetsuit. You're probably wearing a lot of weight to overcome the bouyancy of the wetsuit. If you were to have a complete wing failure at depth, you'd have a difficult time swimming up your rig (even after dropping weights).

Have them expedite your drysuit!! (you'll never dive wet again after you use it...!!)

Single steel tanks are no problem using a wetsuit. Steel doubles are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom