DIR and Vegetarian Diet?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR doesn't require a veg lifestyle.

Hey, FYI: I ate some homemade speghetti tonight... With beef in the sauce. See? I'm not totally veg. :D

DIR advocates a "healthy lifestyle." They recommend physical fitness and a healthy diet. It's up to you to interpret that, although there's been some talk about requiring a physical fitness test. Dunno how serious that is, though.

I don't see any sort of "veg" requirement in the future.

That said, if they DID require it, and all that was left was JJ and Andrew, I'd be in awfully good company. :D Perhaps in a few decades I could begin to approach their skill levels. :D

Mo2vation once bubbled...
In other threads. The bottom line is balance. To be healthy, you need to eat healthy, and that involves balance.

Well said. I'm with mo2vation on this one. It's all about balance and making informed choices, whether you choose vegan, lacto-ovo, or carnivore. That having been said, I do not believe one can divorce fitness from nutrition/diet.
I do think there's one misconception floating around here, though: a vegetarian diet can provide all the essential amino acids one needs. And if you get enough protein, regardless of source, you can build muscle. Muscle mass is muscle mass, whether you build it by eating a well balanced vegetarian diet or by eating chicken or whatever.

One more thing-- my impression is that DIR is not specifically endorsing one diet over another.

Happy eating. Happy diving...

If I wanted to become a GUE trained diver....would having an irregular bowel movement have my GUE certification status revoked?

I heard you had to send in a stool sample once every month to be examined. Any non-DIR diver is a dirty dirty bad diver!

Lol...

I do think there's one misconception floating around here, though: a vegetarian diet can provide all the essential amino acids one needs. And if you get enough protein, regardless of source, you can build muscle. Muscle mass is muscle mass, whether you build it by eating a well balanced vegetarian diet or by eating chicken or whatever.

Agreed. Check soy sprouts... The FDA says they're the best source of protein available. There's also beans and nuts... Both excellent sources of protein, the latter having "good" cholesterol, too (natural oils).

...But I think they're just telling themselves that to justify all of the In-N-Out burgers. :D Makes 'em feel better. :D

Of course, like I said, I'm not against the sparse animal product... Meat, dairy, whatever. I just don't believe that it should be the majority of your diet, and that's how most Americans eat (me included prior to changing). Consequently, heart disease, cadio-pulmonary diseases, circulatory diseases, and cancer are the biggest killers in America. There is no reason for a preventable disease to be the number one killer in America.

In my DIR class, no particular diet was preached. Instead, it was a simple observation that MHK enjoyed a filet minon Saturday night, and that Andrew G. ate no animal products at all. I teased him about it relentlessly the entire time. :)

DIR did preach, however, that diet and exercise were important to a fit body; necessary not only as an increased margin of safety to the diver, but also so that he/she could enjoy themselves more fully.

And isn't that what it's all about? Enjoyment?

AMEN brother to this
People are in cardiac units not because they eat meat, but because they have made multiple poor decisions concerning their health and fitness. They don't workout, are usually severely overweight and have a terrible diet. Meat is not the major factor leading to cardiac ills...it's lack of personal responsibility.
this is the true problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Including my self and working on it
some argue that meat the problem meat not the trouble its our lifestyles and our lag of work out (Exercise )
and the fact on average we all eat more than we need to instead just eating a normal amount, we feel as though we have to eat till we are extremely full (stuffed)
key hear is a well balance diet with exercise !!!
so don't throw the no meat crap take it out the door .
if I want to eat meat I will , but again we all need to do it in moderation with exercise and a balanced diet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this includes my self !!!!!!!!!

I personally recommend "PH Miracle" by Doctor Young.

Having at one time done the whole yale sports medicine thing and fitness/nutrition having been a strong part of my life i will say it did take me 3 years of stubborness and strong debating back and forth against the so called "organic, yeast/fungus free, candidas free, alkaline, mostly raw food lifestyle".

But, as of last august i can say im a true Alkalarian and on a personal level know of no better nutrition program that meets the needs of medically prescribed diets than this one.

But, thats my opinion and i think if you get a chance to read his book you might realize thsi too.

O-ring once bubbled...

...don't worry about it. The day DIR requires vegetarianism there will only be SeaJay, Andrew, and JJ left to run things...

Actually I was looking forward to seeing MHK go Vegan ...

~<//><

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom