DIR equipment: computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riddler:
So this leads me to ask the next question: I've been to more than one recreational dive site where the dive operator requires a computer. If the average DIR diver does not use a computer, do you avoid diving with operators that require one?

All in the process of learning about DIR for me :06: Maybe DIR divers don't do a lot of recreational diving at all? Or maybe in that situation, you could rent one and not bother to use it?

Never been an issue. Remember you are generally dealing with trained monkeys.

1) They can't tell your computer is in gauge mode.
2) They can't tell a bottom timer is not a computer.
3) If you really know what you are doing, after they see you in the water for one dive they give you full reign to do whatever you want.
4) Those of us on the dark side tend to be a lot pickier about the dive operators we will use so this is almost never an issue in the first place.

riddler:
So this leads me to ask the next question: I've been to more than one recreational dive site where the dive operator requires a computer. If the average DIR diver does not use a computer, do you avoid diving with operators that require one?

All in the process of learning about DIR for me :06: Maybe DIR divers don't do a lot of recreational diving at all? Or maybe in that situation, you could rent one and not bother to use it?

Recent DIR-F class attendee here. That's why I'm keeping my Aeris Atmos 2 instead of selling it and buying a bottom timer. It'll solve the "you have to have a dive computer issue", but it'll be set to gauge mode.

Then again, if a dive op refused to let a GUE-trained diver dive because they lacked a "true" dive computer, chances are they might not want to dive with that operator anyway.

*Edit - What RTodd said.

riddler:

That's why a lot of us use the Suunto Vyper. It's technically a computer, so it would appease a picky boat if that's all you have at your dive destination (we are pickier about ops). But it also is simple enough to run in gauge mode, displays like a bottom time, and is downloadable for ease of dive logging.

Also, DIR divers do do alot of recreational diving. Of course it will vary from person to person, but please don't think that following the GUE philosophy precludes you from recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom