DIR-F in NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiveGoat

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been living in New york City a couple've years now, spending most of my time in school, but now I'm looking to do some diving this summer. I'm 30, and have been diving on and off since I was 16 (feels like I'm writing a personal ad :) )

Last year I switched my gear to a single tank DIR config. and am looking for like-minded (and also non- like minded who are safe divers) individuals to dive with. I'm not a tekie (yet), but I want to just dive as much as possible and get more experience. I'm certified to Rescue, but haven't dove enough to feel like I'm at that level anymore. I'm basically starting over. Only thing is, I don't want to hook up with any agencies other than GUE at this point. SOO.. . I'm wondering if there's any DIR Fundamentals classes going on in NYC this summer. After diving with the configuration in Florida last year, I must say that it's for me (in fact it actually rekindled my love of diving, because I was so fed up with the "consumer" side of it).

I want to do mostly shallow wrecks (wreck watching, not penetrating) and quarries just to get my skills back up to snuff.

I know some of you are from around here (Jetblast, who invited me to Pm and chrisnyc), so any info on starting out in NY/NJ area would be appreciated.

I've also looked at the Sea Gypsies web site. Anybody have any info on them? Any Sea Gypsies on this board?

Thanks for your time.

---Ray

If you head over to GUE's website (www.gue.com), you can peruse their calendar to see what classes are happening when/where.

Also, I think I remember seeing something on this board saying that if you could get "x" number of divers to actually commit to taking the class (iow, hold on to their wallet for them), the GUE management would work with you on getting an instructor to come to your area.

If nothing else, you could always send an email to them with this question.

I'm not in NYC, but....

I know village divers has sponsored DIR Fundamentals courses before -- not sure if they have an in house GUE instructor or whether they bring someone in from out of town.

http://www.villagedivers.com

There is also a NY/NJ area DIR mail list -- I am not a member, but this may help you get connected with DIR folks in the area.

DIRNE@yahoogroups.com

Hope this helps.

It looks like Tony Thomas (instructor for Stingray and GUE) is considering holding a Fundamentals class prior to the Tech I class currently scheduled for July 31st - Aug 4th.

Cross post from the DIRNE yahoo groups board read:

"......potentially running a GUE Fundamentals course prior. The Fundamentals course will be limited to 4 students, with preference going to those enrolled in the Tech One. Please
let me know if you're interested.

Best,
Tony Thomas
tonyt@gue.com "

In addition, there are a couple of open spots for Tech I as well.

Chris

That was last year... and I don't think it ever went off...

There aren't many DIR divers in NYC (and the only boat I have ever seen any on is the wahoo where Tony and his girlfriend help out), most prefer our Norteast style of wreck diving..

Post the question over on the techdiver list and send Andrew Georgitsis an email. You can get it from the fifthd.com website or call them. He flies around the world with another instructor. I am getting a class going down in NC right now with them. Andrew is the training director for GUE.

It is a good way to meet like minded divers in the area.

Tommy

Andrew G is coming in to teach a Tech I class in NYC July 31st-Aug 4th. Tony is interning on the class.

My guess is that Tony is suggesting a Fundy class sometime before hand (June or July) being that GUE wants you taking it prior to Tech I. That's why he'd be giving priority to any of the Tech I students.

BTW, the Fundy class last year was at the end of November, two classes back to back, six student per class.

I stand corrected... I kinda remember when they were talking about a class, and since most of the content on the web site it out of date I figured it was last year's announcement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom